Best time in billing cycle to get an iPhone (AT&T / USA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frozenflourish, Nov 1, 2008.

1. frozenflourish macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm going to buy my husband a new iphone (his cell phone is crapping out) and I want to know the best time in the billing cycle to get it and change the cell phone plans around. The girl I talked to on the phone (CSR) sounded a little confused.
    She did tell me that I pay in advance not in arrears. So... when should I get the IPHONE in relation to the closing date on my bill? A day or two before, or a day or two after? While they will prorate the NEW charges, the charges I've already paid - will be gone!
    Thanks in advance! I just don't want to get a 300 dollar phone bill from ATT like I have in the past... I liked it BETTER when I had cingular (I switched to them FROM ATT - and they were easier to deal with) and I don't trust these ATT guys at ALL!!

Dang, can a mod fix the "cycle" in my title? oops... Done. --mkrishnan

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Wouldnt it make sense to get it the day after?

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont get what youre asking, they prorate the thing anyways so there is no ideal time..

4. frozenflourish thread starter macrumors member

we were thinking the day before because if we wait until the day after, i have to pay what my bill is NOW plus the entire new charges.... so, probably near 300 bucks! IF it works the way I think it does...

they don't prorate what you had before, just the new charges. so whats paid is paid (what i paid under my old plan), but you get billed for what you already used on the new plan (days since you got the new phone) (arrears) and the month ahead at some point with the new charges...
    so i am trying to figure out how it works best! i am getting ready to just say flip it and just tell hubby to go get it now... but i would rather save hundred if i can (which seems like they always get out of me with this weird billing cycle stuff)...

it is very confusing and i might have myself all turned around in it. basically, they will make you pay the month ahead and arrears (so i'll have to pay what i used for my IPHONE before i got billed) and i don't want to loose what I already paid (because they said they don't prorate what was already paid in advance).

ahhhh its so confusing.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I see what you are getting at, but the att system doesnt make sense. I got my iphone 3g on the 11th (day i started with att as well), they then closed my first bill on the 16th.....so i had to pay for 6 days + next full month on one bill.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Its all prorated regardless of when you buy it. When you replace the old phone with the iPhone your calling plan is the same, they just add a $30/month data plan. ATT is going to double up on the monthly charges.

All this craziness about paying for 2 months when people get the iPhone is from people who are switching to ATT from another carrier. If you are just replacing a current phone with the iPhone nothing will change except your next bill will be $30 more.

7. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I had the same problem. Within 18 days I had to pay for two months already. I guess they like getting all their money on the same day

8. frozenflourish thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies guys!! Does this apply even if I am changing my family rate plan to include more minutes?
    THANKS!! Gosh, I would be just pumped to be able to go out and buy hubbys phone tomorrow and not wait like a week and a half... you know us American's, very little patience... :)

9. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Yes. If I read that right:eek: