Best Time Machine setup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Major.Robto, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a Macbook and a Imac both on the same network and both are running 10.7

I am looking to find a cheap way to backup both systems.

I was thinking about putting a external drive on the imac and point time machine to back up to drive. I would assume I could point to the location on my macbook as well via networking (I don't mind to backup over lan\wlan)

I was looking at this drive
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/RAID/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB (Can run as JOBD)

The reason is because its buss powered and is firewire 800 +usb2 with dual laptop drives. (I'd get my own hard drives though)

I was also looking at this drive for backups

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Mercury-EliteAL-Pro-RAID
    It can have regular sized harddrives in it and go up to 4tb of raid mirrored storage. (Can it run JOBD - (Idependent disks)

In the mean time I am looking for a cheap mac mini to run the drives and keep it in my closet and also store other files there. Would that be a good plan to work towards?

I have not even though about apples time cap, just because I don't need a router at the moment.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Given the cost of all three components, you would be better off getting a Time Capsule and just not using the router features (or replace your existing if its not as nice). It'd be cheaper and much easier to setup and maintain.

3. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a lot of large data I need to store (we are talking about 6tb now on usb portable drives) , I was thinking to go with the mini route because I can expand via usb and via firewire400\800.
    The router you can only expand to one usb (Yes I know it works with a hub but no) and it would look like a night mare. plus my router is in my roof so I can't get to it with ease.

im not planing to run out and buy a mini this week. I have connections to some minis I can get in a year or so cheap.

right this minit is it worth to even start to think about timemacheen on a mini?

I might be buying a macbook air soon so it might be three computers backing up.