Best time to buy 5s/5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majurg, Sep 11, 2014.

1. majurg macrumors newbie

majurg

While the new iPhone 6/6+ looks awesome, it is way out of my price range. Those who have done the iPhone song and dance for a while, in your experience when is the best time to buy the previous generation iPhones for the lowest price?

Currently, I am still using my iPhone 4 which I have had for years. I would love to upgrade to something that isn't so slow, but I want to do it when the price is right :) Oh and keep in mind, I would be buying the phone unlocked. I am not on a contract plan.

2. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

are you buying used or new?

If used, then I would say right after the 6 starts shipping, people will start dumping previous gen. After a little time passes (about a month), the prices of the used phones start going slightly up

3. majurg thread starter macrumors newbie

majurg

I would prefer to buy new; I keep my phones for a long time so I don't mind paying the premium for a new device. But thanks for the insight on used phones, I will keep that in mind.

4. 1981d macrumors regular

The prices will drop as soon as the new phones are released, on the 19th. You might save an extra $50 if you wait till Black Friday.

5. majurg thread starter macrumors newbie

majurg

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Do black friday deals usually apply to unlocked iPhones?

6. 1981d macrumors regular

Yeah, I think so. Walmart has already lowered their pricing on the 5s to $549

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

Buying a brand new but older phone gives you a $100 drop at most. Buying an excellent condition used will net you a $300 to $400 discount. I have a 64GB iPhone 5 that I bought used last year for $400 when the 5s came out. The 64GB iPhone 5 retailed for $850 brand new when it first came out. That is a $450 discount that I got just by waiting a year and buying a mint condition used model.

In my opinion, if you are gonna spend so much on a brand new but older model, it is worth coughing up the extra $100 to get the current iPhone. The biggest drops occur in the used market since millions are rushing to dump their phone for the newest model. And the 5s will take the biggest hit because everyone wants the new 6.

8. majurg thread starter macrumors newbie

majurg

Thanks for the advice, after hearing this I am defiantly leaning more towards a used model, especially if it allows me to get a large capacity iPhone for less money. In the perfect world I will have enough money to buy a brand new iPhone 6; we will see if my bank account will let me in a few weeks ;)

9. Kendo macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that a used 64GB iPhone 5s will take an even bigger hit now that the 64GB is the mid-tier model ($299 instead of $399). That means it already lost an extra $100 on top of the drops that normally occur with the release of a new phone.