Best time to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gluben, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Gluben macrumors member

Hey, this is my first post, so try to be nice! I'm a UK student with a Dell Inspiron laptop, but I really really love the iMac. I've never used a Mac before, but I know they're quite expensive, and as a student, that's a bit of a hindrance!

Now I've read that Apple plan to change the chips they use in their Mac line. I'm just wondering if I should hold off a bit longer and wait until these new chips start getting used?

Also, as a complete newbie to the Mac scene, are there any sort of essential points I should know about iMacs? I briefly tested one in-store and just about got the hang of the Mighty Mouse and its right and left clicks, and I think I might want to use Boot Camp because I'd like to still use Windows.

2. nielsll macrumors newbie

3. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

There might be a minor speed bump in September, there might be one in January.

It won't be naything major though. There's no reason not to buy today.

4. Halon X macrumors regular

Check out the refurb section of the Apple store, same computers at some pretty good discounts. The discounts make every day a good day to buy!

5. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Hold on to your money quite a bit longer!

The 'Back to School' promotion that is currently running in the US will also start in Europe, usually just a bit later than on the other side of the ocean.

So if you can wait maybe 2 more weeks than it will get you a free iPod-Touch when you shop at the Apple Education Online Store. You can either use it or sell it on eBay to make the deal a bit sweeter.

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

if this is true (not doubting you, just havnt heard) wait until then.

7. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

yeah. always wait for the back-to-school promo's.

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Yes, strange as it is Apple seems to promote it more in the US than they do in Europe, althrough they always have offered it in the past - usually just a bit later...

(http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336601)