Best time to buy POWERBOOK before school begins

skreety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
8
0
Pleasant Grove, UT
I will be buying a 15" Powerbook before starting school August 22. I am trying to decide if I should order now, using the $100 rebate (which ends June 25). Or if I should wait for the back-to-school discounts and/or possible PB speed bump.

I'm leaning towards waiting, but I'm wondering what's the longest I can wait and still get my PB in time. If there is a major PB change, say in July, I'm thinking it wouldn't be delivered soon enough, with the production delays.

I imagine there are some other students out there in a similar predicament. Thanks for your comments.
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
PowerBooks are extremely unlikely to be updated - take the $100 rebate while you can.

At least, if they are, it'll be nothing major as its not until Intel will they change processor... i mean we wont be seeing a G5 in them, meaning any upgrade will just be a few Mhz, etc.

Buy the PowerBook.

This does not apply to the iBooks, which have got to be upgraded on tuesday after this 25th of june thing... surely? And in time for me to buy one for uni.
 

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
642
0
Wisconsin
It's a pretty long way till school starts so you should have some options.

I'd personally wait but then that's my nature on things like this.

If you pass up the rebate, I doubt you'll pay more in the future. Computers go down in price, not up. Apple is running this promo right now for a reason, not out of the kindness of their heart (why? maybe overstocked, maybe updates, maybe something else). I expect a Cram and Jam Promo (which can conceivably save you $200) maybe in 1-2 weeks.

I'm in a similar boat as you. As it sits, I figure the worst case scenario I face would be having to buy a refurbed model (I think they're the same price as the rebate--actually cheaper since you'd save some tax). I'd rather get new with the rebate, but I can live with a refurb if it comes right down to it. I'm personally hoping I'll be getting an iBook with the Cram and Jam in less than 2 weeks.
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,495
0
Rockford MI
To get the $100 rebate the package MUST arive before the 25th. That would be cutting it to close for myself. There is also the Cram N' Jam promotion that gives you $200 + a free printer that usually comes in mid july. I would get the cram n' jam becuase im not sure if you would get the Powerbook in time.
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,324
297
Runninmac-- you've got it messed up a bit. The machine you choose has to be "shipped" not arrived. so it has to be out of Apple's hands and being shipped by someone like FedEX, UPS, DHL(DHL= :eek: )

Hope that helps clear something.

If you want that $100 rebate, order NOW!

I would wait. It really doesn't take that long if you have to cook up a $100, trust me, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tight money... I'm in 8th grade----always wanting the LATEST Apple products, and somehow... I get them ... with my own money.

So... if you think the current line of PowerBooks would suit you fine, the grab one! If you're like me... wait--- at least 4 weeks, I'd say... and if not by then... buy!
 

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
1,166
3
Woohoo!

Go 8th Graders! I'm one too. Anyways, I think the only reason you should buy the Powerbook now is if you want to get used to it, if you don't already have a Mac. Otherwise, wait.
 

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2004
151
0
East Ontario
Does someone here have a crystal ball? Didn't think so...

You buy it when you need it and/or when it is affordable. When it comes down to it you WILL buy the model offered in your 'range' at the convenient time for you. So, essentially it is kindof out of your hands. You need a computer for the start of school and it is not up to you whether the updates come or not before the start of school, right? I wouldn't worry whether not the updates come out in time, it is fairly irrelevant.
 

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
384
0
runninmac said:
To get the $100 rebate the package MUST arive before the 25th. That would be cutting it to close for myself. There is also the Cram N' Jam promotion that gives you $200 + a free printer that usually comes in mid july. I would get the cram n' jam becuase im not sure if you would get the Powerbook in time.
not arrive, but be shipped by the 25th.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would phone Apple and insist on clarification of the rebate rules OR
just take your student I.D. to the nearest Apple Store and pick one up.

My understanding is that you MUST be in possession of your purchase by the 25th.

If you're looking at iBooks rather than a PowerBook then I'd wait
to see what upgrades are available.
 

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
139
0

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
789
0
Apple normally runs a deal for people going to school in July. Its called the Cram & Jam Deal. Basically if you buy a 'Book and an iPod at the same time, you get a $200 rebate. Plus you can use that on top of the edu discount. A new iPod fot $70 bucks isn't too bad.
 

brd2887

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
17
0
im in the same predicament, and boy does it suck. on one hand, the 100 bucks sounds nice, and basically i just want a new computer (im using an old 600 mhz ibook... i cant do much on it)

but on the other hand, something new may come out (slim chance, but still possible), apple might offer 'back to school' specials, and since im already using a mac, its not like i have to "break it in" (although there is some software that id like to get and try before starting class)

so for now ive decided to wait. im guessing you wont be gonig back til late august, so that gives you the whole month of july to wait for something to happen, even if its just a drop in price
 

skreety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
8
0
Pleasant Grove, UT
Thanks everyone for the input. Especially from the 8th graders!

I've decided to wait and see too. Somehow I've managed to not buy an iPod all these years. Maybe now is the time. I guess there's no guarantee that there will be a Cram and Jam offer, but they'll probably do something.

If they do announce a change late summer, could we be screwed over by a lag in delivery? I'm just remembering the month-long wait for my first-generation G5 iMac. I'll need a PB from day one, since I'm going to law school. Most likely, the changes in PB will just be speed bumps, so that shouldn't mean any production delays, right?
 

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
798
6
TN
I do...

crowdaddy said:
Does someone here have a crystal ball? Didn't think so...

You buy it when you need it and/or when it is affordable. When it comes down to it you WILL buy the model offered in your 'range' at the convenient time for you. So, essentially it is kindof out of your hands. You need a computer for the start of school and it is not up to you whether the updates come or not before the start of school, right? I wouldn't worry whether not the updates come out in time, it is fairly irrelevant.
I used crystal ball last semester for one of my engineering courses. To bad it doesn't tell the future though :D Came in handy, had to use it during the coursework and on my two take home finals..oh bring backs fond memories..... :rolleyes: Of course I had to run it using VPC. To bad they don't have it for Mac.....

Nuc