Best time to buy used ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JD2K9, Mar 3, 2011.

1. JD2K9 macrumors newbie

So obviously the price has dropped alot since the ipad 2 announcement. As much as I want an ipad 2 if I can get an OG ipad for alot cheaper I think I will. My buying point would be $275-300 for a used 16gb.. Tax free of course. I also prefer one thats only 2-3 months old max, great condition, with a case.. Now my question is do you guys/gals think the price is going to continue to drop as the ipad 2 launches or stay the same? I have seen some decent deals but none seem to be what I am looking for to a tee.. I wonder if the closer the launch gets, when it passes if 16gb wifi ipads will drop to $250 or possibly lower (doubtful) but you never know..

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Of course prices will continue to drop as time passes. It's only natural up to a certain extent. Question is how long will you be willing to wait? Right now you have the most options when it comes to buying.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

IMHO the next couple weeks will be a depressed resale market (good for buyers) due to the flood of used ipads and Apple clearing stock ($100 off new, extra off refurbs at apple.com).

Once the upgraders have switched to 2nd gen ipads and Apple's cleared out their stock, supplies of used ipads will dwindle down and prices will likely climb back up a bit before then continuing a slow progression downward.

So I'd say if you're after a used ipad, buy now while there's a LOT of people trying to unload their ipad so they can buy a 2nd gen model.

I could be wrong, but there's definitely a supply/demand imbalance right now that won't be around for long.

4. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

I agree. Buy now if you want one. Once Apple's supplies have been cleared, prices on craigslist and such will go up. Reason why they're so cheap right now is because of the refurbished models going for $350. If Apple hadn't continued selling first gen iPad, prices would be quite higher.

5. arc918 macrumors member

arc918

The only wildcard is how quickly Apple blows out their stock. We might see more price drops from them (new & refurb) before this is over. Or perhaps they planned well and their current ipads will sell out quickly.