Best time to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by STSNorthstar, Mar 8, 2009.

1. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

I will purchase a MacBook before I begin next years classes in the Fall. I will finish this semester with my 12" PowerBook.

I'm wanting to time my purchase to sometime in July for a few reasons.

1)Possible price reduction/spec upgrade announced at WWDC.
    2)Possible Snow Leopard Release
    3)Back to School event will get me an iPod touch for free, which I can resell.

Ignoring the slim possibilities of 1 and 2, are there any other seasonal incentives I may want to consider? I can make it until the summer without issue, and it seems like since I CAN wait, that there's no sense in not waiting, just in case.

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

The best time to buy a Macbook is just after it is released. The next Macbook release will probably be in the next 2-3 months. Normally, prices are not reduced, but at least you get an updated machine. Snow Leopard will probably be released in a different time, so you may wish to consider buying the first Macbook updated after the release of Snow Leopard.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea you could also wait forever. Something newer and better is always coming out. If you need it now then buy it.
    The back to school event is the only "promotion" your probably going to find.

4. motox25 macrumors member

id wait until snow leopard comes out if you can. From what I've seen and read its gonna be great.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've always bought a MB/MBA/MBP in August and received the free iPod classic or iPod Touch since '07 and a free printer to boot. Student discount is always good, and you'll get the rebate for the iPod Touch in a couple of weeks. Hopefully Snow Leopard will be bundled with your purchase...:)

6. STSNorthstar thread starter macrumors regular

I'll definitely buy at the back to school promo, I hope they can get snow leopard out. I might have to put the cash from the ipod to the purchase of snow leopard at a later date.

I agree with the buy what you need when you need it philosophy. the 1,83GHz Mini fit my needs for a reasonably powerful desktop that can hold my IM client, email, and internet up 24/7, with mild Word use for papers, and photoshop on occasion. I do not regret waiting for the redesign, and it's serving me tremendously.

I just don't NEED the MacBook yet, and am capable of using what I already have to do what I already do until I can get a great deal in July/August.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I'm also going to be in the market for a MacBook in the Fall, but I will wait until I can get snow leopard for free as well as a possible free iPod.

8. spick macrumors member

Get it during the back to school promo, I got my macbook 2 years ago with the promo and sold the ipod to bring my total cost down to $800.

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Spot on, I saved quite a bit with this strategy.

10. paolo- macrumors 6502a

As soon as the student discount are offered, best time to buy. Last year was different with the unibodies just around the bend.

11. STSNorthstar thread starter macrumors regular

Right now, student discount is pulling 100 off of each machine.

Refurbs are pulling 200 off each machine. Seems to me that a student looking to purchase right now may want to go the refurb route.

However, when the free printer and ipod roll around, the student discount is looking pretty good.