Best time to sell an unlocked 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lionheartednyhc, May 28, 2010.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Since I don't get an upgrade (Im hoping that will change soon), I am planning on selling my 3GS to make up for the price.

When is the best time to sell? I don't want to sell my phone too early and be w/o a good iphone for a while before the new one comes out.

Do you think the release of the new one will have a significant impact on the price of unlocked 3GS'? Since the new one is not unlockable, perhaps not?

Just looking for some thoughts on this..

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

TheDevTeam (and probably Geohot also) have an unlock exploit "waiting in the wings" for OS 4.0 and 4th generation iPhone.

Not sure how the release of the new phone will impact 3GS values. I know I will have two 3GS phones to sell after I get the new model phone

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I don't know if this helps, but I waited until the 3GS phone was out before I sold my 3G. I had been monitoring prices on various "re-seller" websites before and after the release and didn't see much if any dip in prices. I believe there is such a strong market outside of where Apple sells today that you can get a decent price. I actually sold my 3G for $400 and more than covered the price of my new (subsidized) 3GS.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, currently where I live, 3GS in black, able to be jailbroken (untethered) via Redsn0w and unlocked are bringing $400 and up via Craigslist.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Of course the closer we get to new release, the less your phone is going to be worth. For the past two years, I've just played it safe. I buy the new phone. Then I sell the old one after I get the new one all set up. Every single time I've done this, it has easily paid for the new phone I just bought. So I'd recommend to play it safe.

6. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I just sold my 3GS jailbroken and unlocked for $500 yesterday thru craigslist.