Best Time to sell iPad 1 for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shanshor, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. shanshor macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2008
    hey guys, I plan on putting my iPad on ebay and buying an iPad 2 when its released. When do you think is the best time to sell it in order to:

    A: Minimize the time without one
    B: Maximize the return.

    Surely Apple will hold an event to announce this thing, and I think when they announce that they're having an event would be the best time to list it. Wha do you think?

  2. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

    Aug 22, 2009
    There isn't a best time, there is always a trade-off between the amount of money you get and the time you go without one. Of course now would give you the highest amount of money but you could be iPad-less for months.
  3. ripper998 macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2010
    if you can go at least a month or two without one I would wait till you see apple has an even schedule. As soon as its scheduled, but it up on ebay for 7 days with a reserve set.
  4. tac22 macrumors 6502

    Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with as soon as the event is scheduled, but the iPad 2 will probably be launched within 2 weeks of the announcement (3 at the most). Apple wants to limit the time between the announcement of a new product and before it's on the shelves, because sales will slow to a crawl crawl.

    So you shouldn't be too long without one.
  5. MRU Suspended


    Aug 23, 2005
    What you could do is ask around / engage their reaction with a feeler - to your friends and family. I did and have a buyer lined up for my iPad if Apple does release the iPad 2 with higher res screen. My buyer is happy to wait a few months and I'm happy to sell my €799 iPad 64GB + 3G for €500 to them in due course.... :)
  6. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2008
    Thanks guys, I think I will wait until they schedule something, or rumors of release dates are pretty confirmed. Do you see the pricing being much different?
  7. lokerd macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2010
    Don't sell...just get another. Didn't you see Star Trek - TNG? Picard always had several tablets lying around. Who needs multitasking, you just need multipads!

    Seriously though...I don't see a problem with having multiple pads available. They are certainly more reasonable than having multiple computers.

    As the pads come down in price, and new models are released, and we work more off the net than on a device, I see pads all over the place. Leave the 3g in the car, wifi by the bed, TV, kitchen, workshop, etc. ;-)
  8. brewno macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Dude, I already sold mine. I miss it, but hey, I can use my computer/iPhone in between. :)
  9. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816


    Jan 18, 2008
    As did I (fellow Montrealer ;)) last week. Garnered 660 USD for my 32GB 3G - pretty happy about it. Even happier now that the iPad might get some mad resolution. It's tough though, reaching for the iPhone just isn't the same.
  10. riam macrumors regular

    May 7, 2010
    Mty, Mexico
    The best time to sell if you want to get the most money out of it is now, i Just sold mine for 655, (32Gb 3G), and now i use my iphone while i wait for the Ipad 2 i miss it but i think prices will drop next month.
  11. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    But what happens if the iPad 2 isn't out until April? Also what happens if you are not one of the lucky few and have to wait another month? So that's about 4 months without it.
  12. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    You want to minimize the amount of time without one, and want to maximize the return?

    Well in order to do both you need to give up a bit from each. Which means, you won't be getting back as much as you hoped, and you'll be without it for a greater period of time.

    So when is the best time? 1 month ago. Or asap.
    The more rumors of iPad 2 comes along (which the general public finds out from News) you won't be able to sell off your iPad for the amount that you'd like.

    If you wait for the iPad event to be announced, then you'll be fortunate enough to sell off your 1st gen iPad for a very low price.
    If the iPad 2 wouldn't be such a huge update, then i would say wait longer, but when iPad 2 is announced everyone will forget about the first one.

Share This Page