Best time to sell my iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harinoorvirk28, Sep 28, 2014.

  1. Harinoorvirk28 macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2014
    hey guys so before i was certain to miss out on the 6,but i changed my mind and just ordered it.What i wanted to ask should i sell my 5s now? it has 6 months of warranty remaining! or should i wait until the market cools down a little like a month from now? because everyone is selling their 5s to upgrade to the 6. I will be selling it on craigslist btw.
  2. dictoresno macrumors 601


    Apr 30, 2012
    From what I've seen over the years, prices go down and usually don't rebound. I sold mine the other day for what I felt was fair market value, but feared only getting less for it.
  3. Harinoorvirk28 thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2014
    ok, thanks for the reply. do you think i will lose money if i wait 1 month?
  4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030


    Jun 12, 2011
    I would think so. The hardware only ages and the warranty will be 1 month closer to expiration so yes the value will continue to go down. I'd sell now, try Swappa. There might be a lot of phones out there now, but there are also a lot of people out there buying them too.
  5. taedouni macrumors 65816

    Jun 7, 2011
    I would think that waiting a month after the latest phone is released is better then right away because everyone and their mother is probably trying to sell the same model as you. More supply with the same demand as before will just result in lower prices. That's just my $0.02. I myself will be waiting until mid October
  6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It will not make a huge amount of difference if you sell now or a few months from now. Put it up for sale at a high price now and see. You never know, someone might pay!
  7. blackhawk526 macrumors member


    Jul 24, 2010
    Your 5s is losing pennies by the minute. As the market evolves to the new hardware (bigger phones), it's value will only be stable for a short amount of time. It should still have decent resale value right now, but not for long IMO.

    There will always be niche buyers that hate the larger phones though.
  8. BeK macrumors regular


    Mar 2, 2012
    Once the latest iPhone model is released, everyone buys it, then EVERYBODY and their mother tries to sell their old model iPhone the same time, thus flooding the market.

    That's why I put mine up for sale the day before the 6/6+ were even announced at the keynote.
    12 hours later it was purchased and then $500 started making its way into my account. I always jump ahead of the competition as to avoid the flood. As a result I never have problems selling mine. I also ALWAYS keep the original box and the headphones remain UNTOUCHED as including brand new headphones increase resale value as well as making your sale posting more appealing. I always include chargers/data cables as well.
  9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68010


    Sep 13, 2014
  10. TRC-WA macrumors regular

    Sep 26, 2014
    Got my 6+ on Friday, sold the 64GB 5s that evening on Craigslist.

    $450 cash to a guy upgrading from the 4s.

    I had to decline a few lowball $375 offers till I got the offer I wanted. Wasn't worried about it selling so I didn't hesitate to tell the lowballers to go buy a 16GB.
  11. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

    Sep 9, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Sold my 32GB 5S gold for $420 a couple days ago. Got my 6 for $300 and pocketed the rest. Why wait a month? You can just leave your ad up for as long as it takes to get a satisfying offer, if you plan on waiting a month you might as well have the ad up.
  12. CEmajr macrumors 601

    Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Well since you're using Craigslist there's no reason not to just list it now. You can wait until you get an acceptable offer before you actually agree to the sale.
  13. Frankied22 macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2010
    I'm trying to get $425 for my unlocked iPhone 5S 16GB. No luck yet.

Share This Page