Best timing to buy a refurb Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GanChan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I plan to buy a Macbook soon, and I've had good experiences with refurbs from Apple so I'll be saving some money again with a refurb this time.

What I'm wondering is, since new Macbooks are expected in August, will prices on refurbed previous models drop dramatically upon release of the new model, or are the prices I'm seeing now pretty much what I should expect after August?

What's the usual pattern of behavior, if there is one?

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

the day after a new macbook is released is the best time to get your refurb

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

But only with the caveat that the price drop might go into effect immediately, since Apple won't yet have newly spec'ed MacBooks to place in the refurb store.

It will take a few weeks for new models to appear, since they have to go out to customers, then be returned to Apple, then processed, quality assured, and then listed.

4. showtime macrumors 6502

it takes a couple of weeks for them to show up after a new release. I would also check some online retailers and university computer stores right after a release for clearance pricing on the older models.

5. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about grabbing a red-hot refurb of the new model. I'm talking about picking up the previous model, with the notion that their perceived value might drop suddenly once they are no longer the latest thing.

But I know Apple products tend to hold their value pretty strongly....

6. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

just think of it this way, whatever is the top of the line refurb right now, will be the second to the top of the line refurb once the latest model refurbs start showing up on the refurb store. So you can almost guess how much they will costs too.