Best tip calculator and bill splitter?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by spamdumpster, Jul 29, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Who the f*&^ actually uses a tip calculator or a bill splitter? There are for freaking tip calculators in the app store. WTF? First of all the iPhone has a calculator. Second of all, my three years old can calculate a 20 percent tip, no problem. Also, who uses a bill splitter? No one I know.

Sorry for the rant.

2. diesel macrumors 6502a

3. JAT macrumors 603

You are supposed to just bring an accountant with you to all gatherings.

4. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Here here... Ain't no way I'm going to pay part of someone else's meal, or even expect someone else to pay part of mine (unless they offer). You ordered it, you pay for it.

Tip calculating I can sort of understand if you want to do something other than 20%.

5. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if you go out with a bunch of friends, you all sit around after the bill comes and try to figure out who owed what?

6. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I could see an exception if, for example, you have a salad and a glass of water and everyone else has lobster and wine. But if it's relatively close...just divide the bill by the number of people at the table.

If one starts breaking down the check to the penny...man, that looks really cheap.

7. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

What is so terribly wrong with asking for separate checks? Heaven forbid they should actually have to print it up the way you ordered it. Plus, who carries cash around to pay for food anymore anyways? I have always payed with my credit card and intend to continue doing so, so dividing the bill between people at the table doesn't help me. I've always found this to be a ridiculous concept.

8. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you can't use the included calculator for this kind of thing, then you probably shouldn't be let out the house anyway.

9. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Hmmm... I had a sneaking suspicion my friends didn't keep me around for simply my company. :rolleyes:

10. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Seriously. Anyone who can't figure out a 20% tip in their head in approximately 2 seconds shouldn't even be allowed to leave the house, let alone own an iPhone!

And I don't eat with people who don't split the bill evenly. Simple as that. 5 people dining? 5 credit cards get handed to the server and they split it 5 ways. I could care less about my portion not totalling EXACTLY what I ordered. But some people are cheap. I guess tip calculators and bill splitters are for those people.

11. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Why have ANY apps? We have internet and a web browser, right?

Why? Because they're easier, fun...and downright cool

12. Kayakattack macrumors newbie

who indeed

I use a bill splitter.

A group of us (15 or so) go out a couple times a month and everyone doesn't want to have to pay for several of the other's alcohol (normally about $7->$20 extra per head). I just whip out my bill splitter and instead of the 10 minute plus argue-fest (which normally requires someone to disagree and recalculate again) it is done in 30 or so seconds (10 if no alcohol). I'm using Tip Executive but there are a couple other ones out there that are decent also.

I agree that if everyone wants to split it equally, its not that big of a deal, but once people get particular about paying for other peoples alcohol it becomes a pain without a good bill splitter. Plus i'm starting to use mine on business trips to keep track of meals (with the email and photo feature), makes things much less a hassle. I hated all those little receipts in different jackets for days on end!

In conclusion, I swear not only idjits use a tip calculator!

13. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I'm fairly sure this argument began the very day the App Store opened. Interesting to see it continue. It reemerges periodically, like cicadas, only more often.

14. lllll macrumors regular

LOL. Agree. Who doesn't know how to calculate 10% tip of $100. And who needs a bill splitter cal. You should know how much your order cost. If not, you need to go back to the kitchen and start washing dishes. LOL. Although, the tip cal does make your phone look like nice. :D

15. mrbass macrumors member

Whenever I went to a restaurant with this multi-millionaire he never needed a tip calculator. First he never split the bill as he always paid for everyone no matter how large the party or the bill. Also he always tipped 10% never more and never less and always said "My compliments to the chef."

Another odd thing is he always and I do mean always parked in firezones since he hated walking when we'd go eat. If car was ticketed or towed he didn't care and 97% of the time it wasn't.

The tip calculator in the Appbox Pro is decent enough and does just about everything any other tip calculator does like rounding up or down, etc.

16. icebrain macrumors newbie

Best bill splitter for me

I usually go out with many friends and was a pain in the ass to split the bill.
    I didn't have found an app to solve my problem until some days ago when I've found one called Bill Splitter.
    It's just a Bill Splitter and does not have a tip calculator, but it has a very good screen where I can set "who ate what and who drank what" and division is like magic after that.

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bill-splitter/id347087854?mt=8

Regards

17. funkenstein99 macrumors newbie

The app I use is "simp tip calculator". It doesn't have the bill splitter function, but that's what I like. It is simple and fast. Can get the tip in 2 seconds.

18. Paul B macrumors 6502

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Whoa...did I miss something? When did the standard tip rise from 15% to 20%? In this economy? Nah...I'll stick with the old reliable 15%. :D

20. cheshy macrumors newbie

21. cjred macrumors member

22. scapple17 macrumors newbie

This is a cool app

I just downloaded this last week. It's a fun spinner that simply decides who pays (like credit card roulette). The group tip calculator in it is pretty sweet, because it's super simple and you can deduct alcohol, coupons, cash tip, etc. And, you can calculate in different currencies.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spin-for-who-pays/id410694965?mt=8

23. DaveF macrumors 6502a

So you go out to eat with 17 coworkers, to say goodbye to someone leaving for a new job, and you give the server your 17 credit cards and ask for an even split?

I use Checkmate, from Hand Carved Code...which is no longer for sale in the iTunes store. It's handy for taking a bill from 18 people adding an 18% tip, dividing it 17 ways, and rounding up to the nearest dollar for those that are paying in cash. I could use a calculator, but CheckMate is optimized for this one thing, making it a bit easier.

24. Nikh macrumors regular

It is very easy to calculate tip using standard calculator, but special tip calculator app can be easier to figure things out, especially after some drinks :)
    However, It is competely odd how people can buy tip calculator apps.

Some time ago we developed Tip'n'Go Tip Calculator, with almost all features you can imagine for tip calculating apps (it is free and has no any ads) - and it is downloaded up to 10 times per day :)

If you'd like to check it out, here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/tipngo-tip-calculator/id373290638?mt=8

25. SportsStar22 macrumors newbie

A really good OCR app I found is called CheckTip...take a picture of ur check and it calculates the tip for you...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/checktip/id564539381?mt=8

Description
    Tired of pulling out your calculator to calculate the tip at a restaurant? Then try CheckTip. Simply take a photo of your check and CheckTip will use Opitical Character Recognition (OCR) Technology to input and calculate your tip and check amounts.