Best To-Do app for MBP that syncs with iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, May 6, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Is there a preferred To-Do app for the MBP that syncs with the iPhone?

I use MS Exchange and have my email set up through mail and calendar set up through iCal. My calendars on iCal all sync on my iPhone. Tasks, however, do not sync from iPhone to MBP through MS Exchange (at least not through my hosted exchange provider).

Can anyone recommend a decent To-Do app for MBP that would sync with my iPhone? If it syncs with iPad - even better! I do not mind paying for the app on both devices if needed. I'm looking for something relatively simple. I don't need too many bells and whistles as that may actually make it more cumbersome to use for my purposes. Please shoot me your best recs!

TIA!

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

3. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I used iStudiez Pro but I am tired of it.

I am looking for something new, as well.

Does Things sync over the cloud? Like will it sync using my 3G? or My MBP and iPhone have to be on the same wifi network?

4. vnle macrumors 6502

+3. Things is truly an amazing productivity app - I'm a college student and this has help me keep track of all the things I have to do. :D

Things will sync when your devices are on the same wifi network. :cool:

5. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

6. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone!

kidwithdimplez - my understanding is third party apps can only sync over wifi, so not over 3G/cloud unfortunately.

7. baboyako macrumors newbie

pocket informant has a toodledo link (cloud). so you can sync your to dos over the internet. you can choose the GTD system on the program.

8. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info! I'm going to take a look at it now.

9. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

After doing some searching here and online I found Wunderlist. It's excellent. Free apps for iPhone and iPad that have great interfaces and an online interface. Plus, it automatically syncs over the air - wifi not needed. That's a huge bonus as I'm used to my calendar and mail syncing since they're through Exchange. It doesn't connect to iCal but that's perfectly fine for me. Just throwing that one out there if anyone else is looking for one.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I agree. I have used both extensively and Omnifocus offers a much higher quality as a software. It isn't only about the features, but Things has very buggy synchronization...
    Omnifocus has a steep learning curve but it is really a great app.

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Evernote as task manager isn't exactly sufficient...

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

((space shuttle cockpit))
    [​IMG]

This is what I feel like i'm looking @ when I launch OF. While I havn't been as serious in GTD methodology as I should have, one year later i'm still struggling with effectively using GTD or OF.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I was just going to suggest this. Wunderlist is free, and syncs with practically everything.

But the best To-Do app on the iPhone is definitely 2Do.

I've spent money on Things and Omnifocus, and it was a waste.
    Things is probably the most overpriced simple to-do list ever. Worst is that it syncs over Wi-Fi. And the only good thing about the app is the beautiful app icon, but at the end it's all beauty and no braun, definitely not worth $10. Omnifocus on the other hand, i found to be too confusing to use.

Therefore, 2Do just worked for me, and i haven't looked back since. The developers work really hard, they respond to a lot of emails and constantly update the app. I haven't seen a major upgrade for Things in about 2 years. Only issue is that there isn't a native Mac app for 2Do, so syncing over Toodledo, or iCal/MobileMe (or now iCloud), is the best option.

14. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

15. andrewjthrelfo macrumors newbie

andrewjthrelfo

Either Things, or The Hit List. Things has Mac, iPhone, and iPad apps, and no cloud syncing. The Hit List has Mac and iPhone clients with an iPad app on it's way, and cloud syncing.

Things is by far the most pleasing to the eye, but if you have the iPhone and iPad versions you can't sync them with going through the Mac version.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's just a no frills, versatile note taking app, but I love Simplenote. It's free and universal iOS. Install Notational Velocity on your Macs and all of your notes will be synced up on all your Macs and iOS devices effortlessly.

17. wiregen macrumors member

+1 for omnifocus. With they're sync server. No need to sync manually. Everything is done automatically.

18. Nikh macrumors regular

You should try our To-do Lists application, it can by synced with iOS 5 Reminders app and with our To-do Lists Mobile as well.
    And it is quite cheap - only $0.99.

Also, at the moment there are some promo codes for free download, just ask me.

19. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I got things - it is average at best. Limited now with newer iOS

Omnifocus however is 'the bomb' I use it for everything

Check out their website and you can also see the ideas behind it if you look at Dave Allen and GTD

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Outlook Tasks syncs fine with the iPhone in iOS5; if you already are using Outlook via EAS give it a try.