Best to-do app that syncs with a Mac? (That isn't crazy expensive)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kriista1234, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kriista1234 macrumors regular

I've been using Omnifocus on my iPad but the desktop version is way too expensive, and then an iPhone version too, it's a massive investment.

Things looks good and as a bit cheaper (not much) but I've read that people have had syncing nightmares and that customer support isn't good.

Anyone using something that you can sync across all your devices that isn't going to break the bank?

(Why oh why can't apple include a better to-do list than the crappy one in iCal!)

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Yes!!

Appigo ToDo. Their iPhone and iPad apps are really nice and easy to use. Supports your own workflow or GTD setup.

They now have ToDo Online which is the web-based version for only $20/year which is what I use on my Macbook while at the office and it syncs with my iPhone and iPad so I'm always in sync.

They are also working on an actual Mac app, which will be sweet.

I also own OmniFocus but just don't care for the way it's organized or the UI and some other nuances about it.

And I also own Things for the Mac and iPhone, but trying to use their wifi sync was HORRIBLE and a pain in the butt. I may try them again if they ever get their cloud-sync solution released, but I have a feeling that won't happen this year. Been waiting for 2 years already.

3. Mawal macrumors regular

+1 for Appigo

I have Appigo todo on the iPhone and the iPad.

I use toodledo.com to keep them in sync.

4. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I was battling with Things and Awesome Note for iPad. I had Todo for iPad already. After reading your note and checking out toodledo.com, I have switched from Things back to Todo, and I purchased the iPhone app. The online sync was a big one for me.

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

$20/year is a small price to pay for increased productivity. :p

7. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You might want to check out Wunderlist.

http://www.6wunderkinder.com/wunderlist/

UI looks nice. You can set up syncing with quite a few different types of devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows, Mac). You can access it through a web browser if you want/need (at http://www.wunderlist.com/). You can share lists with coworkers/friends/family. You can e-mail list items to your list.

Best of all: Free.

8. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Oooooh, now this looks nice!

9. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Beat me to the punch. Wunderlist is awesome. Hands down one of my most used apps. I've got it on my iPad, iPhone, iMac, and MBP - syncs great. You can also email yourself and it will automatically add it to your lists.

10. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I've set it up and will start populating it with my stuff.

It doesn't have the depth that Omnifocus had, but for being free, cloudsynced, and cross platform, it's hard to beat!

I also wonder if they will eventually start charging once people are hooked..

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

12. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn that looks good too! And has/does more stuff.

Has anyone used/tried both?

13. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, doesn't look like springpad has a Mac app, so you need to install a browser plugin to use it? That doesn't sound too exciting.

14. Yodalogger macrumors newbie

iProcrastinate... the UI is a little primitive but it works great. I sync through my dropbox account with the Mac version.

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Wunderlist may look great but when I was trying it recently it was crash happy, ended up with 2Do instead and am loving it. I haven't looked into its syncing features yet though.

16. Tesyz macrumors newbie

Wunderlist is awesome, so very simple to use. Not a professionnal apps, but useful for everyday life.

17. psonice macrumors 6502a

Count me as a happy 2do user. It's a REALLY well made app, covers pretty much everything I could need. There's a desktop sync helper app for mac that'll sync it nicely with your calendar, and it works with mobile me (which was a paid extra, but works well for me - I guess this will be redundant with iCloud).

Plus the developers were very quick and helpful when I did have a problem once (due to apple upgrading mobile me and messing something up) - that's worth a lot I think.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Wait for iCloud and iOS5 this fall and you will have free sync using the new Reminders app.

19. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you need just a basic app, wait for iOS 5. If you need something a bit more in-depth though, it probably won't quite cut it (I guess there are videos of it on the net somewhere, judge for yourselves). The other apps should support iCloud too (I think 2do already does, not tried it yet as my main phone is still on 4).

20. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I use Manage, because it allows for handwritten tasks. For some reason I love the feeling of writing out my to-do lists. :) It doesn't have all the features of some to do apps, but for me that just means it's not loaded down with crap I won't use. The developer is very responsive and is regularly updating, so the app is getting better all the time. He even keeps a list of upcoming changes on the website, so you can see if he's working on something you want and request it if he isn't. It also syncs with ToodleDo, and it looks like he's considering Dropbox, Evernote, and Google syncing (they're on the feature request page).

21. Nikh macrumors regular

Probably you will be interested in our To-do Lists Mobile application - it is only $0.99 for iOS version (iPhone/iPad universal) and $0.99 for Mac OS version, both can be synced.

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've settled on Firetask. Has a Mac app, iPhone and iPad app, kind of along the price between Things and Omnifocus, but it has free OTA sync.

23. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Apples aim is not to include the best app in every catagory and include it for free when you buy your iDevice. They provide a device that will get everyone up and running when they open the box. Everyone has different wants and needs. The App Store is filled with great apps and developers and it becomes the end users responsibility to locate what suits them best.

24. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I simly use outlook calendar that is synced with all my iOS devices that pops a reminder and such. This way in one app I see my appointments and reminders and to do list on a fly.