Best to-do app with online sync?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by vinay427, Apr 9, 2009.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Hey guys. I desperately need a good to-do app. I want something that can sync online, because at home and at other random places where I may be I don't want to take out my iPhone just to add a task. I've looked at Remember the Milk and started the 15-day Pro trial but don't like the lack of event support. I want to have something that can hold my events and tasks in one list. I looked at Things, but it can't sync online and can only sync to a computer when in Wi-Fi range. Also I have tried MobileMe but it can't sync to-do's to the Calendar app. Right now, I thing I may use Google Sync to push my calendar events and RTM for my tasks, but that wasn't the seamless experience I was hoping for. What are your suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance! Also, the lower the price the better because I am a student.

2. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Pocket Informant is an excellent event and task manager that syncs everything online.. It just came out not too long ago, so there are still some rough edges to be ironed out (still very usable), but the developer has had a long and excellent track record on other platforms, and he's been very involved with his customers. It's a bit more for the app, but once you have it, everything else is free.

3. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

+1 for Pocket Informant, though it definitely needs v1.01 which is currently waiting Apple's approval. Tasks and events sync'd online and, through MobileMe and SpanningSync, to Outlook and iCal. Direct support with Outlook and iCal is in the pipeline.

Unfortunately the current v1 has a lot of rough edges sync-wise with Google, so much so I've stopped syncing, waiting for v1.01 before I try again. But I love PI and its Today, Week and Month views.

4. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Thanks a lot Gokunama and LostLogik, I think this may be exactly what I've been looking for! I'll keep you updated on what I do.

5. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I looked at it in more detail and now it seems a little too confusing and full-featured for me. I don't really use half the features there. All I need is an intuitive UI, gCal support, event tracker, and to-do list. But thanks a lot! If it didn't have that many features I would have bought it by now.

6. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

The UI for Pocket Informant is not really complicated (it might look that way at first though), and you may find yourself appreciating some of what you might call extra features, but if you're not into it, then I could theoritically see a combination of TouchTodo and Saisuke working well.

The other option is SmartTime, their app is gradually gettiing there (still no monthview as of yet, something I need).

7. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

If you're intent on syncing gCal and having events and tasks all in the same view, then I'd highly recommend Pocket Informant as the least complicated route.

There are combination routes (I just tried Saisuke and TouchTodo combo), but they get complicated or difficult to view in just one app.

There aren't a lot of gCal options out there

8. TonyL08 macrumors regular

9. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Thanks, I probably will go with Pocket Informant. I can bear the relatively high cost because I really need my iPhone to keep track of all my events and tasks. It's the one device that I carry around, and I'm not a pencil/paper sort of person. I'm all electronic! Thanks a lot Gokunama. Also, thanks TonyL08. I looked at Toodledo. It has everything I want except gCal syncing. I don't really like the UI on their website. Thanks though!

EDIT: I just can't do it! The UI looks too complicated and ugly-ish. Sorry for being so picky, but this is a big purchase for me. Is there at least a to-do app that syncs online? It doesn't need to have event support. I think I'll just use gCal with Google Sync for that. Does anyone know if the 3.0 beta allows for to-do's? Thanks a lot, again!

EDIT 2: I looked at SmartTime+ and it's great except it only has one way gCal sync.

10. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

So does anyone with the 3.0 beta see to do lists in Calendar.app? Thanks a lot! Also, I'm still open to any to do app suggestions because I have yet to find the perfect one. Is there a way to access todos on the gCal mobile site?

11. brian doherty macrumors member

I'm a student too, and with finals coming up I needed a to-do app to remind what needs to be done. iCal + Calender work wonderfully for this. Being able to add events on my mac or iphone on the go and then having alerts pop up on my phone and mac at the same time is nice. I'd say it's the best way to go because of Calenders alert features until 3.0 comes out with push updates.

Use Calender in list view, it's just like any other to-do app.

12. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Do you use MobileMe to have them sync at the same time? I think I could connect gCal to iCal and use Google Sync to push to Calendar. I will probably use this and find some free program for tasks. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

13. brian doherty macrumors member

Nah I don't use Mobile Me, I can't justify the price for the features. I just charge my phone on my Mac Book every night when I go to bed, and iCal just syncs with the iPhone than. I'm in no need to have instant syncs, I just do it once a day.

14. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Oh. I'd like a instant sync setup so I'll use gCal to sync both iCal and Calendar. Thanks for the inspiration! BTW, I agree with you. For me, MobileMe doesn't justify any cost. There are free services that offer online space (but probably not 20GB) and VNC works instead of Back to my Mac. Yahoo! also pushes to the iPhone, and Gmail does in the 3.0 beta, so I've heard. Pretty much everything, except the intuitiveness, can be got for free.

I just canceled my MobileMe subscription and I said that it was because the service was too expensive. Maybe, just maybe, they will read that and lower the price. You never know! :cool:

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You can sync Google Calendar and Contacts by PUSH as per:

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

ToDo list apps are a bit of a crap shoot at the moment, there are a lot out there but I don't think any of them are the holy grail yet and in fact after using most of them I am questioning whether I even need a ToDo list app on my phone as the majority of my ToDo's involve doing something on my laptop so there isn't much value with an iPhone app anyway.

Having said that though I would say it comes down to either Appigo's ToDo or ToodleDo for the best OTA syncing ToDo app but both of those are standalone without an integrated calendar with events but personally I like it that way.

16. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I agree with you about none of the todo apps being perfect. I got Google Sync working and it's flawless in reliability so far. That's what I have come to except from Google these days. I'll probably just wait until 3.0 and see what new apps come out or hopefully if Calendar adds to do support. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!

17. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

'Pocket Informant Lite' was just released, if anyone's interested in seeing how it works before taking the plunge.

18. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Take a look at ToDo by Appigo. It can sync your to do's directly to ical's to do list via wifi. It also can sync to Toodledo's calendar and to do list. You can set up a free account with Toodledo and get a free widget that will show your synced todo's on your Mac. Also, in Toodledo you can opt to have your todo's emailed to you each day and/or texted to you at the time they are due. You can also sync to Google Calendar from Toodledo, which will put your todo's on your calendar when it syncs back to your iPhone.

19. stil macrumors member

stil

You could try TouchTodo. It 2-way syncs with Google Calendar very well. I've used Things and Appigo's ToDo and like their interfaces more but TouchTodo lets me have all the GCal reminders. Syncs over Edge, 3G or Wifi and it's $1.99

20. Chumbake macrumors member

I just don't see anything that has combined events and todo together in a successful way.

I've been using Calendar on my iPhone which syncs seamlessly and instantly with MobileMe. I love adding events to my Mac and just walking away. No waiting for syncing or anything, then my reminders pop up all day long.

I then use OmniFocus for my tasks. It also syncs over MobileMe (although not as quickly) with my Mac version. OmniFocus is full featured and does everything I need. If you're a GTD person this is a must.

If you're looking for a cheaper to do list that syncs on the web, you should check out Zenbe Lists. My wife and I used this groceries and general to dos. She adds them to the online page and they show up on my iphone. It lacks features of higher end List Makers or to do apps, but worth looking into.

21. joenesmith macrumors newbie

I've been using Things for a while but it doesn't sync online and has some serious deficiencies. First of all the cost. $10 for an app that doesn't have a priority scheme or recurring tasks?? I've recently downloaded Nubi Do and so far I love it. I love the fact that it has a calendar view that shows you all of your tasks. That alone made the app worthwhile. It doesn't have online syncing either but it's supposedly coming. It's a nice app.

22. alainr macrumors regular

toDo and sync through Toodledo--does it work when offline on my touch?

i am looking for a note and todo program that syncs w/imac and itouch and i can use it when i am offline on my touch

23. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

Currently Im using Apiggos ToDo app and it syncs perfectly with ToddleDo. I also have ToodleDo sync with google calenders which I have synced with my ipod touch calender app. So if I update something on ToDo the ipod touch's calender will push the update.

24. villageindian macrumors member

+1 for this. I have been using the software since it was released and it has been improving steadily.

The new version has support for Google™ Push Sync, which means you can get it onto the iPhone calendar. Instructions for doing that are on the website. And its cheaper than the other popular software titles mentioned in this thread.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I also use ToDo by Appigo. It works great, and I highly recommend it.