Best to use as hotspot- 5, 5s, or 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Turnpike, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I have a 5 already, but would get a 5s or 6 if there would be a better phone to use for wifi. It's really all I'd be using the phone for, logging on and browsing now and then when I'm at a jobsite.

Does anyone know, will I get as good of a wifi signal for my Macbook Air (2014) from my 5 as I would from a 5s or 6? If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate you letting me know.

If a 4S or ipad would be better or worse to use as a hotspot, mention that too. I'd be using TMobile, and have a plan that covers the hotspot useage, and the reception for where I'd be using it is fine.

Thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd go with an LTE device so you can tether while using a faster connection with fast speeds.
    Anything like 5-5S or iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

3. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

So there's really no disadvantage of using an iPhone 5 vs a 5s or 6 or iPad Air? The connection would probably be just as strong...?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 6 and 6 plus can access faster LTE but it's not like T-Mobile or any U.S. carrier currently delivers speeds over 100mb.
    So a 5 or 5s would be fine and you won't really notice improvement with a 6, 6 plus or iPad air 2.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Is it about Internet download speeds or upload speeds your after? The reason I ask is the 5 has a lower upload speed over 3g and 4g in comparison to the 5s and newer.