Best tool to compress/encode video - Mac or Win

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by netdog, May 28, 2017.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

We have three days of footage out of UHD camera footage from a seminar that we need to archive in full resolution and then compress (720p would probably be fine) for distribution online to those who attended the course.

I suggested trying Handbrake but the owner of the video is running Windows. That said, I could do the job on my MBP TB.

We don't want to buy an expensive tool like Final Cut and if while I prefer to let him do it on Windows if you all can suggest a good tool, if I get stuck with the job, I'd prefer not to use iMovie as I find it wonky.

So what tools would you use on Mac or Windows to do the job? I'd say iTunes and iOS compatibility in the end product is a good idea.

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

In addition to MacOS, Handbrake is available for Windows (7-10) and Ubuntu.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Handbrake is probably THE best option for this. It has profiles for "targeting" renders for iTunes and iOS devices among others.

Note however if you want to edit this footage- as is often the case with seminars (editing out breaks between segments for example, or perhaps replacing live presenter video with some full-screen presentation slides, making nice transitions between parts, overlaying some graphics or a brand mark, leveraging multi-camera angles if multiple cameras were used, etc), a tool like FCPX would be a great way to go. If I'm not mistaken, Apple offers a 30-day free trial, so you could get and edit it for free using that tool. While it can export to a variety of compressed formats, I prefer to export to ProRes at full UHD resolution and then use Handbrake to compress that UHD down. Per your objective, I'd encourage you to render 720p, 1080p and maybe 4K too and see how compressed file sizes compare. Conceptually a seminar is not going to have a lot of visual detail changing so you might not automatically have to go to 720p due to concern over streaming file size. Compare one vs. the other and make your own decision.

Depending on the nature of this seminar, you might even want to slice 3 days of footage up into shorter segments and render individual videos (part 1, part 2, etc) and/or offer a first part(s) for free and then seek some revenue to get "the rest" if it's that kind of seminar. Perhaps there's an opportunity to burn some Blu Ray or DVDs and make this seminar a disc-based product to sell (too)? If so, Toast could be a great tool to add to the above mix, and/or fire up an older version of OS X and use iDVD to make some pretty nice-looking DVDs. Perhaps offer some free excerpts from the seminar as free teasers (streaming) with a "commercial" at the end pitching the disc product?