Best tools to use when upgrading RAM or HDD to SDD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antidoll, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

I've seen few choices online, but when I read the reviews on Amazon, they mostly have mixed reviews...

I have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro, what are the best tool kit to use?

I don't need something too expensive as I will be doing this one time, but need to have all the necessary tools & for them to fit without damaging the screws on my Macbook.

[also as a side note, since I want to install the SDD fresh without backing up my HDD, I can do an internet recovery right?] Thanks in advance

2. maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

I just used the smallest philips screwdriver I could find at the bottom of my old "random tools"-drawer. You don't need anything fancy.

3. yangchewren macrumors regular

just find a screw driver that fits... If it can't grip the screw then stop using it.

If you feel resistance halfway through screwing a screw in, stop and reseat the screw. It is a very simple technique and it is difficult to strip the threads off if you are gentle.

Lastly, if you feel your screws loose, just buy some blue loctite.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I prefer the sets with exchangable bits. You buy them once and they are always nice to have. I think the single screw drivers for that one specific task are usually too expensive for the value. The hand grip on the exchangable ones is usually also much nicer.

There are quite a few of those on amazon or everywhere. Since you aren't using them too often you also don't need some expensive high quality stuff.

5. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

6. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If you think you might work with electronic devices a lot, or open the same device multiple times, it may be worthwhile to ditch the Phillips screwdrivers for JIS (Japanese Industry Standard):

[​IMG]

They are often a much better fit for manual usage, as they tend to slip out less and not strip the screws as easily. The Phillips heads are designed to be used with power tools, so they cam out easily to avoid over-torqueing.

If you only want to do this kind of thing once or twice, there is probably no point, but if you see yourself getting inside your laptop many times, it can save you lots of hassle and stripped screws in the long run.

7. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

that sounds nice...

what do I look for? JIS sets on Ebay or Amazon?

8. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I would try Amazon, or a local specialized electronics repair shop. Make sure to get #00 and #0 sizes.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Get a set of jeweler's screwdrivers at Radio Shack or Sears.

10. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Look for Wiha screwdriver #00 26194 phillips, one of the best there is.