Best TPU case for 5/5S: Diztronic Matte

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Retired Cat, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I am very picky about cases. Having purchased and returned several unsatisfactory products, I believe this is the best TPU case on the market for iPhone 5/5S:

Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S - Retail Packaging
    http://amzn.com/B008SFI9WU

Why this is a great case:
    1) Fits the iPhone like a glove, little extra bulk
    2) Comfortable to hold
    3) Good button feedback
    4) Plays nice with my Belkin screen protector. No bubbling on edges
    5) Glossy raised lip around screen blends in really well with the black iPhone screen assembly, and provides face-down protection if you want to place iPhone upside down on table.
    6) Easy to clean. Single-piece design without many nooks and crannies makes wiping down the exterior really easy.

Only minor area for improvement: slight imperfection in top left mold seam, but this is a very minor cosmetic issue.

Other notes:
    1) Black colored case has only the small swirl logo on the back, which is discrete but still looks fantastic.

I don't know why review sites haven't given this case any attention. If I'd known about this case months ago I would have been spared a lot of aggravation from trying other cases. For $9 it's unbeatable. IMO there isn't a better light/slim TPU case for the iPhone 5/5S.

2. illmatic41 macrumors member

The Diztronic is an awesome case and their customer service is also above and beyond. It was my main case for my iPhone 5 for the better part of a year. When the i5 was release last year, the Diztronic was the highest ranked case on Amazon. Clay, the owner, informed me that this was their first Apple product they designed a case for and was shocked to have 122 five star ratings to start off with.

Not to take anything away from it, but have you also tried the Magpul Field Case? I would put that on par with the Diztronic. I'm currently using the Magpul on the 5S and it is just as solid. Magpul uses their own proprietary TPU and the case is manufactured in the US. The price ranges from 12-8 dollars depending on the color you choose on Amazon. So with build and price, it is comparable to the Diztronic.

3. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I considered the Magpul because it also received excellent reviews, but in the end, I preferred the simpler design of the Diztronic. Smooth and stealthy is usually how I like my phone to look.

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have both a Black Diztronic and a black Magpul for my 5s and much prefer the Diztronic. I can not stand the sand paper feel of the Magpul. On the other hand, the Diztronic feels real nice and smooth and is slim and fits the phone perfectly. I just wish Diztronic would make a black case that feels the same but with some kind of design. They look too plain for me but it's the best slim case I've tried yet.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the Diztronic was my everyday case up until recently when i switched to the caudaube veil. but yea the diztronic is an awesome case and still my favorite. i dropped my phone twice onto pavement from about 4 ft and didnt even have a scuff. just make sure you clean it out often. stuff like dust and lint can get trapped inside, just like any case, and can cause flaking of the anodized finish where it rubs against the phone.

6. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I've owned 2 Diztronic cases. One was a really tight fit and the previous one had a little play in the fit. One day I took my iphone 5 out of the loose one and was shocked to find tons of scratches on the edges so you are absolutely right about cleaning it every now and then. The one with the tight fit does not have that issue. If you get a loose case, make sure to replace it with one that actually fits.

7. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Both of the units I received have great fit. They fit better than my Incipio Frequency (itself a good fit), so I'm thinking that debris won't easily get into the case.

Today I'm using the translucent aluminum Diztronic, and the glossy bezel gives a cool sort of retro "original iPhone" look to my 5. The TPU on this unit seems to show scuffs more than the black case, but they aren't visible unless I look closely.