Best trackpad for 10.5.8

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dannyshing27, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with track pads in 10.5.8 (PowerPC) and could make any recommendations for any good ones using Bluetooth or USB?

2. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I don't know much about wireless/USB trackpads, but I would check out Logitech, as they make great computer peripherals and their trackpads look pretty nice. The only external trackpad I have used is the Apple Magic Trackpad, and it's really nice, but obviously expensive at about $70 or so. As for PowerPC or the OS, it doesn't really matter which you have unless the trackpad has features that require a driver installation. If that's the case, then check to make sure the trackpad you are wanting to buy has drivers that are compatible with your OS version and computer architecture. I would assume that most will work anyway w/o a driver installation, as MacOSX is good about that stuff. Where you might have to install drivers in Windows for, for example, a webcam, you won't really need to on a Mac. Hardware compatibility should be fine, assuming you have a Bluetooth card. I don't think any Bluetooth-compatible Mac received a card standard; It was an extra thing you could buy, much like how Airport cards were optional back in the day. (unless you are just plugging in with USB).

3. weckart macrumors 68040

I have used this one with a Powerbook G4 running 10.5.8. It paired and worked first time without drivers. I paid about half the current price from the same supplier. I suppose the price goes up and down a lot.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Magic Trackpad can be paired with a Bluetooth equipped Mac but will be limited to simple point and click. Gestures like scrolling, two-finger click, etc. are not supported and it is viewed as a generic Bluetooth mouse essentially. The Magic Mouse however has software support as does the pre-2011 Aluminum Wireless Keyboards in 10.5.8 on PPC.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Ah, that's good to know. I was sort of doubting that certain things would work, but was not sure; I am not keen on the Magic Trackpad. My dad actually has one and it sticks in the downward position sometimes for no reason. I keep trying to tell him that it does that but he doesn't seem to get it... IDK.

6. Dannyshing27 thread starter macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

Thanks for the comments everyone

I have a magic track pad on my mac pro at home I will bring it to work to see how well it functions.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

Two finger scrolling definitely works on my PB 12" with the Logitech T651 and it can disable the built in Trackpad when paired if the option is selected in SysPrefs. All the native functions of the built in Trackpad seem to work; taps, two finger right clicks, zoom etc. Extra gestures require SL, unfortunately.

I haven't tried with my Magic Trackpad as that is wedded to my iMac and I don't want to confuse it.

I do have the last model PB with the USB based Trackpad, so those with ADB Trackpads might have more limited functionality.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The thing to know is that when used on a PowerPC Mac, the tap to click is disabled and the physical click is used.

It will work great as a mouse. I use one alongside my Magic Mouse and reach for the mouse much more often but still use the trackpad. To pair the trackpad, you will need to set it to use an empty passkey in the Bluetooth Setup Assistant.