Best transportation method for a MBP - on a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rata911, Apr 9, 2010.

1. rata911 macrumors member

rata911

Hey guys,

I don't know if this has been asked before but if it has indeed: Mea maxima culpa :D
    So, thing is I'm about to buy a new MBP 15" (yeah, also hopped on the waiting for arrandale bandwagon) once it comes out, let's hope for next Tuesday. Now that spring is here and it's already getting warmer I'll use the motorbike more often. (Ducati Monster 900 for anyone that cares, my other hobby besides Apple) About 2-3 times per week I'm commuting between my parents' home, girlfriend, uni by bike - about 80 miles approximately, mainly highways.

What's the best way to protect it from vibration on a bike? Does any of you guys have any experience with shock & vibration resistant backpacks/sleeves or something that were designed for such a purpose? Brands? Recommendations perhaps?

To be honest: My old friend, a 15" CD MBP (1st Intel one) died around Christmas and I'm kinda worried it's my fault as well because of my motorbike trips. I've put it in a neoprene sleeve and transported it in a backpack with a regular laptop compartment. I do want to buy new 'protection' for my future companion and my backpack is counting its days as well. So I thought I might as well ask here for advice. :)

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading that far, hehe.

Stephan

2. gvsbdisco macrumors newbie

I would highly recommend:

Tom Bihn Brain Cell inside a Tom Bihn Brain Bag. Expensive but absolutely worth every penny. If you do your due diligence on these products you will find that they universally endorsed. Made in USA, bulletproof and will provide maximum protection for your laptop. If the Brain Bag is too big you can go for one of their smaller packs.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104
    http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=TB0300

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

The new unibody MBP's are very solid and can take a little vibration. I use the Targus backpack while on my Harley. The new Targus backpacks are super plush and most of them look like a regular school backpack and not a Nasa air pack. Hope it helps.
    PS. I wish I would have gotten the 13". It's the right size for traveling around on with bikes.

4. rata911 thread starter macrumors member

rata911

A-fword-men to that. Although, I'll get a 15" model again. Working isn't actually fun on a 13" if you have to do it 8h/day :/
    Besides, don't you Harley guys have saddle bags? :p

What about the Booq Vyper M3 . They any good?

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

First off, nice choice of bikes - had one myself until a deer decided to run into it while I was doing about 50mph.

Anyway, I always just carried my laptop in a cheap backpack that had a sleeve for a laptop built in. I always used the belt on the backpack to keep it from bouncing around. Never had a problem.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I'm not your normal Harley rider. My bike is nothing but motor, frame, two fenders and me. No baggers allowed in my world. Motorcycles were made to enjoy the open road and city streets.
    The Booq line is too Hipster. try one with more pockets, since you travel from family to GF and stuff.

7. rata911 thread starter macrumors member

rata911

I was just joking around, of course.
    What I meant was that Vyper M3 sleeve by Booq, I won't buy a backpack for the reasons stated.
    The Targus stuff looks quite promising. Me investigate.
    Thx :)

Edit: This one is on top of the list right now.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I just use a classic Jansport Black backpack to carry my 17" core duo.

I've gone over 140 mph (225 kph) using that backpack with a laptop inside. It'll sorta feel like a really light passenger on your back but it's not bad at all.

9. Indus macrumors newbie

Indus

For what it's worth, I cycle commuted for many years with different PBs, on a singlespeed in the summer, and a mtb in the winter, and never had any issues.

I actually used a Gregory messenger bag, with the laptop snugly wrapped in my folded office attire. I added a waist strap, to keep it from migrating around. I got run off the road/bailed a few times, but I'm good enough at crashing that I never let it hit the ground first. I did have to let it warm up after -35C rides in though :)

I had a co-worker who also cycle commuted, and they put their laptop in big padded sleeve, inside a pannier and had no end of grief with the machine. They had a usually reliable thinkpad of that era, that suffered logic board and disk problems every 1-2 months, till they just left it at work.

I suspect that the lowest level of possible jarring vibration is on your body - as long as the laptop is secured to you, it's fine. Course, if you want it to live through a dump on your bike I expect the sky is the limit on how much protection it could use.

Gotta say, if I was duking it out daily in traffic again with a newer mbp, the Tom Bhin Vertical Cell would get bought, and stuffed into either courier bag or backpack for whatever additional vibration damping/protection it would provide.

10. HastaLaVista macrumors member

I have a simple Wenger Laptop Backpack that I use for my MBP. It fits perfectly in my Givi E52L Top Case. Has never leaked and my bike is not a very "bumpy bike", it's a 2002 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom.

When I had a Harley (883 Sporty), I tried a cargo net to the seat, which did work, but was in the elements in case of rain.

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Oooh Ducati - I like ! :D

I use a Crumpler rucksack (back-pack). Its always a secure feel to have the notebook touching your back when you're driving fast. I'd suggest this over something like a sling bag.