Best Travel Coffee Mug - Suggestions Wanted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tilpots, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

A billion different kind exist and most of them are awful. Please, share the Mug you use and would recommend. I'm personally looking for one that fits these criteria...

1. Keeps coffee hot - It's a shame that actually has to be listed, first.

2. Doesn't spill easily - Spill proof is over-rated when you need three hands to take a drink. Also, the push button ones are impossible to clean properly. Then that smell develops... Ugh. Looking for a nice comprise. Which leads me to...

3. Dishwasher safe - I know insulation and dishwashers aren't the greatest of combos, but we put people into outer space. Making a dishwasher safe insulated mug that actually keeps coffee hot should not be impossible.

4. Fits into common car drink holders - Why people make these wide bottom travel mugs, I'll never, ever understand.

5. Doesn't need to make coffee or tea - My coffee maker works fine and I'm not into Tea, not that there's anything wrong with that.

OK, so that's what I'm looking for. Maybe you can help me and other MR members in the quest for the Holy Grail of Travel Mugs. I Know it exists, I just can't find it...

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

From what I've researched the Thermos Sipp (16oz) is one of the best. I haven't used it myself yet.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

I actually looked at that one but the lid is WAY too complicated. One of the reviewers couldn't even figure out how to put it back together. :) It also wasn't completely dishwasher safe even though the products main page says it is. The complete description says:

Are you looking to get one, too?

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

What about these Canon coffee lens mugs? Not sure whether they fit all your criteria but I thought they looked either kinda tacky or a great idea!

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Buy an Acura. They give you an awesome coffee mug.

6. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not that into photography to spend the $$$ on this, but what a cool idea!

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I bought these from Costco.

Lid and mug are both dishwasher-safe... I usually put them only in the top rack of my dishwasher just to be safe. Keeps liquids hot for really long... I've put in tea in the morning, and it's still pretty hot by lunchtime.

8. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Hmm. I didn't list a price, but that's definitely above what I had in mind. I guess I'll set the bar. If I have to finance it, it probably won't make the Mug List.:D

So the lid is pretty easy to clean? A reviewer said they put the lid in the dishwasher and couldn't get the water out of the lid afterward. Any truth to that?

I'm starting to think my best bet is to go simple and cheap and just replace the mug every couple of months. This one seems to fit that bill, it's Copco - Eco First - Acadia. It's drawback is that apparently it doesn't keep the coffee that hot becasue the lid has a permanent hole in it. The upside is that it's microwavable so it's extremely easy to reheat.

9. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I put the lid in the dishwasher with the opening face down. And then after the dishwasher has finished, I'll usually just shake the lid to get any residual water out, then let it air-dry the rest of the way.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Ahh. OK. Sounds like a good way to clean it. When you disassemble the lid, was it clean inside? I really like the looks of that mug.

Was it the Thermo Mug? I'm having a hard time finding a good description of it. Siggs site isn't very informative, but it does look like it could fit the bill.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Meh, I just got some insulated mug from Wal-Mart. I drink it too fast for it to get cold. :cool:

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those were my xmas gifts last year to a few friends. Those mugs are great, air tight and keeps things hot or cold.
    So people use them to keep their "stash" in, but I wouldn't know anything about that. ;)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know. I bought mine over 2 years ago, and it was really good. It wasn't extraordinary at keeping drinks warm for hours, but none of them are, in my experience. :rolleyes:

15. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Honda gave me an awesome one when I bought my Accord coupe. Wanna bet it's the same one?

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Seriously, I love the Honda mug I got.

But, in all honesty, I bought a few pink Breast Cancer pink mugs from Starbucks last Christmas for my mother and some Aunt's of mine, they seem to be extremely happy with them.

17. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks. It's been really helpful.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm curious, Tilpots, did you finally pull the trigger, and if so, are you happy with your purchase?

I'm in the market for a travel mug (or thermos, haven't decided) and I stumbled upon this thread. I think I really want a travel mug... something that doesn't require me to remove a lid each time I want to take a sip (because, yes, I'll lose it). :eek:

Stainless steel would be nice, too. Or anything that isn't made out flimsy plastic.

:D

Pics? :p

19. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Of course it's the same one, to be captain obvious here Acura is the luxury brand of Honda.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have several free-bees, including a stainless.

I use it for ice water, because I sometimes need to nuke my coffee in my travels.

21. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

I went with the Copco I mentioned above. It was a little present for my wife and she's less than thrilled. The mug itself is great as it came closest to all of my requirements, but it fell short of a couple of hers. She doesn't like the fact that it's always open. She's spilled it a few times in the process of getting herself and our daughter into the car in the morning. She also wanted a handle, which this model doesn't have.

She uses it everyday, so really its not an awful mug. It was intentionally really cheap, too, so in the case that she didn't like it, we could get her a new one. And while we haven't gotten the new one yet, she's read this thread and really liked a couple of them. I'll try to remember to update this once she does finally find her mug.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Even though I didn't find the perfect mug on my first try, all the responses will really help on the second one.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It is a wise Systems Analyst that can get his User to give accurate specifications. ;)

23. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Well said. :D. A wise System Analyst I am not.

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Thread necro.

I just bought the Thermos Sipp. Honestly, for the amazon reviewer who couldn't figure out how to put the top back together... they must be some kind of idiot. There are a total of three pieces that only go together one way.

It meets all of your requirements, which were basically the same as mine. The coffee keeps surprisingly warm; I did some testing and after 3 hours it had only lost 25 degrees F. It fits in car cupholders and has a screw-on top which doesn't spill due to the button mechanism that seals/unseals the lid. It's also dishwasher safe, and Thermos will send you replacement gaskets for 10 years if they fail for some reason.

25. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Excellent revival. Thanks for the write-up. The wife's Copco is still being used. Now that she doesn't have to carry my daughter so much, the spills have decreased and she's liking it much more.

Anyone else? If there's one thing that's always in demand, it's a good cellphone, but getting a quality travel mug doesn't hurt either. :p