Best Travel Computer Macbook or iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gpspad, Sep 27, 2015.

?

Best Apple Travel Companion?

1. Macbook Air 11"

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Retina Macbook

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Ipad Pro

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. gpspad macrumors 6502

Im looking for a computer for travel and road trips. I moved to the apple infrastructure but I'm still a tinkerer at heart. Between the 11" macbook air; the new retina macbook, and the upcoming iPad pro....Im kind of at a loss for what the best value would be. Besides basic internet stuff...

Ideally I want something I can charge with something like a Goal Zero Sherpa 100, when Im off the grid....

Something I can use to store photos from my camera's sd card and view them....

something that will compliment/program my iPhone, i.e. make appointments on, lookup directions, get into the iCloud, etc....

Lastly something to watch a movie and maybe even play it on a random tv I might run across

Any suggestions on whats a good travel companion

2. Mefuzar macrumors newbie

Hi,

IMHO, it depends on what you're going to do with it..

From what you have described, it seems like iPad is enough.

But i would go with the Macbook Air, it's almost light and thin as an iPad but think about the software options you'll get with it (comparing to an iPad) --> far more richer.

In addition, you've said that the iPhone is also traveling you.
    combining the power of OS X and iOS is the way to go..

Cheers,
    Mickey

3. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

well, if you're forking out over $300 for the Sherpa and money is no concern; why not the rMB?

4. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

I may grab one of those or cheaper alternative, just want to be able charge whatever I get on the road. I know I read somewhere on the goal zero site that a rMBP 13" draws too much power.

Im not sure how much a MBA draws or a rMB, the single port of the rMB seems limiting. But if the rMB charges from a sherpa like device and the MBA doesn't, that would be one thing in its favor. That and its screen.