Best tuner for streaming live tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RobbySkateboard, Mar 3, 2013.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I just got an HD box in my bedroom and was looking to get a tuner so I could record shows to the computer (instead of paying the $22 extra a month for the DVR feature, what a rip off!). I know there are a few out there that have apps or software to stream to your iphone but I wanted some opinions. I'd like an HD option so that I can watch it in good resolution via the phone or if I'm in wifi I could use my laptop. I was looking at the HD PVR 2 model 1512 (link: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2.html because I know the company and like that this is HDMI and not a bunch of cables, just one, less clutter. Does anybody have this and can confirm that it works well? Is there another good option that's cheaper perhaps?
    And I assume that this one works with streaming live tv because this was under the FAQ page for it:
    Can I use the HD PVR2 with the Hauppauge WinTV v7 application?
    Yes. If you use WinTV v7.2 with the HD PVR 2, you can record videos plus use Extend for live streaming.
    But I'm not 100% sure what the WinTV v7 application is, I'm just guessing it's the live tv streaming app they use.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I've actually used the Hauppage as a DVR on my laptop. I've had it for 2 years now, so mine isn't the latest. The only pain is the wall cable - taking it in out from the TV and hooking it up to the laptop every time you want to DVR a show. Unless, you have a spare cable in another room and hook it up there instead. I've never used it to live-stream though. Otherwise, it's decent.

It records in MP4, so you can sync and import to iTunes, and take those shows on the road with you if you prefer to watch them on your iPhone. I prefer them on my laptop. This is the extent of my use. I watch missed shows on Hulu or YouTube, so I don't use the Hauppage as much, plus they're commercial-free.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

it probably won't be cheaper, but there is a version of the hdhomerun that is supposed to come out this summer, it's quad tuner, has cable card support, and connects via ethernet (can work over wireless, but it would be a stretch of bandwidth). it also has hardware h.264 encoding.

so you could get rid of the cable box completly, and the card rental is probably less than the box rental.
    and the files that come out of it will be ready for your iphone.

i currently use the regular hdhomerun, but am only able to record the local channels off the cable. and i have to convert them from mpeg2 before they are iOS compatible. I use a linux server box running mythtv to record

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

elgato eyetv HD. Best software for the Mac, does stream both recordings and live TV to the elgato app on your iPhone. It's only one cable, too, just with multiple plugs.

[​IMG]

5. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular