best tutorial for unlocking the 1st gen iPhone for TMobile?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gr8gatzby, Mar 13, 2009.

1. gr8gatzby macrumors member

I've been searching the interwebs for 2 hours now for a bonafide method for unlocking the 1st Gen iPhone to work on T-Mobile, but with limited success. Some say that I need a tmobile SIM card, others don't even make mention of it. I need a top to bottom step by step method. What software I need, etc. I'm pretty computer literate, but this is scaring the crap out of me.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. gr8gatzby thread starter macrumors member

That tutorial worked great for unlocking it, so thank you! However, I am still in need of a good tutorial for making it work on Tmobile. Please advise!

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If you unlocked it then just stick in your T-Mobile SIM card. It will work. Yes you do need a T-Mobile card after you unlock it.

5. gr8gatzby thread starter macrumors member

I put in the T-Mobile SIM card, yet it still said that the SIM was not recognized. QuickPwn seemed to unlock it flawlessly.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Then something didnt work right because after it is unlocked and it is done going through the quickpwn process all you should have to do is put in the card and it will show t-mobile in the left corner. Dont even have to reboot.

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Quickpwn for Windows or Mac.

From my experience, the Windows version was actually a lot easier.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the phone didn't recognize the T-Mo SIM, you by definition, essentially, didn't unlock it... as above, I'd try it again, and be sure to follow each step in the tutorial. Who knows? Maybe just sometimes you have to do it twice.

As for the phone after unlock. You put the T-Mobile SIM in, and it should work to make and receive phone calls immediately. You will probably have to go to settings -> general -> network -> cellular data network and modify the APN settings. You should put the T-Mobile APN in the APN field and leave the other two blank. The T-Mobile APN is typically one of these:

internet2.voicestream.com
    epc.tmobile.com

You can try one/both and whichever works/seems faster is fine.

9. gr8gatzby thread starter macrumors member

i can make calls, there's no access to apps though

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What do you mean by no access to apps -- you mean nothing (Mail, Safari, iPod, etc) will open? Or do you mean you can't get on the app store? If it's the latter, then it's unlocked, and you need to read my post above again and set up an APN.

11. gr8gatzby thread starter macrumors member

only the dialpad is displayed when pressing the home button.

12. sol008 macrumors newbie

iphone 2g jailbroken but not unlocked

i am trying to unlock my i phone 2g but its not working. i already jailbroke my phone from Firmware 2.2.1, using quickpwn for mac, but the phone still does not recognize my sim card (Indian carrier, Vodafone). please help