Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I'm new to Twitter. I only want to buy one app, so I'm looking at buying the best there is. Recommendations?

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
i use Tweetie, supposebly the BEST twitter app, its not free

but i jailbroke my iphone so i DL it for free

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
TwitterFon. Hands down. Free and is everything you could possibly want.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
i use Tweetie, supposebly the BEST twitter app, its not free

but i jailbroke my iphone so i DL it for free

So you pirated $3 software? Not to be a jerk but do you understand how much such a thing hurts small companies? We don't all make millions of dollars selling 99 cent and 3 dollar software and it could literally be the difference of putting someone out of work. :( :confused:

OP: Tweetie is great and worth much more than the than 2 candy bars you'll skip to buy it. I hear Twitterfon is also great, if you prefer a free client.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I like to use Tweetie mainly, but sometimes (on rare occasion) I use Twitterrific and Twitter.com.

Tweetie is by far the best twitter app on the iPhone, it's stable, pretty, updated frequently and full featured.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I like to use Tweetie mainly, but sometimes (on rare occasion) I use Twitterrific and Twitter.com.

Tweetie is by far the best twitter app on the iPhone, it's stable, pretty, updated frequently and full featured.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
So you pirated $3 software? Not to be a jerk but do you understand how much such a thing hurts small companies? We don't all make millions of dollars selling 99 cent and 3 dollar software and it could literally be the difference of putting someone out of work. :( :confused:

true, but its not like i have money to throw around left and right either to use different apps, plus buying an app with no return policy is not worth it, i just dont want to buy an app and find out that its not what i wanted in an app

video reviews and word reviews are good, but it everyone has different opinions

iHope your phone gets bricked.

jailbreaking doesnt get your iphone bricked, worse case scenario i restore my iphone and do it all over, and i can take it back to apple if i ever needed to

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
true, but its not like i have money to throw around left and right either to use different apps, plus buying an app with no return policy is not worth it, i just dont want to buy an app and find out that its not what i wanted in an app

So, most people don't buy what they can't afford, or they save up for it, rather than stealing it. Disgusting...

Tiptopp

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Thanks for all the replies, I downloaded Tweetie. Looks great so far.

Who has money to throw around? I still pay for my apps, and my music. I don't have a lot of either, but it's all worth it. As to apps, I can't see the majority of app developers getting a whole lot for their apps, but I like them, and I want them to keep bringin me new and better updated apps. I'm happy to support developers if they keep bringing out the good stuff.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
buying an app with no return policy is not worth it, i just dont want to buy an app and find out that its not what i wanted in an app

Read reviews like anybody else, make an informed decision, save and pay. Of course, by your logic, having tried out a stolen version of tweetie, which you state in an earlier post as being the best twitter app, you have decided to buy it and will be visiting the AppStore forthwith.

its not like i have money to throw around left and right either to use different apps
Who does, but it doesn't justify theft. Do research, be selective. Typical I want, I get, greed mentality that has put this world in the situation it is now.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yes just as all the stuff at the apple store is free if you steal them.

That's my favorite counter-argument to people that pirate software/download movies and music. A strong majority of them would never walk into a store and steal a physical item because they're either scared to or they think it's wrong but have no problems stealing via the internet.

I should add that I have the free version of Twitteriffic. Works fine for regular posts, sending and receiving direct messages and has a pretty clean set-up/interface. There's an add that shows up every like 5-10 (I can't remember) posts in the place of a post but isn't intrusive.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I primarily use Tweetie because I love the SMS-style display, but I've been beta testing the revisions of LaTwit since we did our episode on Twitter apps and when the new version comes out it'll be a very solid contender with a number of very nice features (though still lacking that slick text-bubble interface :p).

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

jailbreaking doesnt get your iphone bricked, worse case scenario i restore my iphone and do it all over, and i can take it back to apple if i ever needed to

I think there's some misunderstanding here. Am I right that you're a younger fellow?

As others have pointed out, my friend, you wouldn't go into a store and steal something; that's probably because you're worried about the consequences (going to jail, etc.). Shouldn't you be more concerned about the moral aspects of stealing that item instead?

Let me be more direct. How would you like it if I hired you for a full-time, 40 hour per week position but only paid you for 1 minute of each hour you worked? Wouldn't make sense right? You'd feel robbed and rightfully so.

The tweetie developer probably isn't going to miss a single sale, but when many do what you've done it can literally mean he/she may not bother updating the application.

Finally, I entirely understand your want to try applications first. While I don't necessarily agree with your method to try them (mainly because it encourages you to forget to purchase them later) I think you should purchase a legitimate copy of each application you use since you've obviously tried and like them enough to keep them. Like I said, it could literally be the difference of putting someone out of work. Engineering time is not cheap. Have a great day. :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
As others have pointed out, my friend, you wouldn't go into a store and steal something;

He is a pirate - his self-rationalization is impervious to logic and caring about others just like all of the other pirates. He is the sort of person who bemoans the lack of PC and Mac games, then turns around and steals them too! He is a lost cause ... just like the other pirating scumbags responsible for draconian DRM schemes. He should be banned here and get his iTunes account frozen for admitting publicly to stealing software.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
"Best Twitter App"

A router firewall that blocks it

If it were allowed in this forum I would be saying a lot more than what follows.So out of respect for MacRumors I'll just say this.....

IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY YOU CAN'T HAVE IT - did your mom not teach you that as a kid?, .....or maybe you are a kid ?, in which case , learn fast :stealing is wrong!!, period .

Look at it this way : Some guy[or gal] who's sweated over code for nights n nights and days n days then missed days out with his family etc etc to write the App deserves more respect than that!!! your taking food from his table dood!

whitlecj

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
I would say Tweetie is the best app, but for a free app, you can't go wrong with Twitterfon.

stil

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
I use Tweetie and TwitterFon. The reason I still use TwitterFon is because of the Auto-Scroll to First Unread feature. I would like to see that in Tweetie. I find in Tweetie if I haven't checked in a little while I can miss some tweets. I don't know how many have come in and as I scroll I am reading them in reverse time line order.

While both apps load pretty quickly, TwitterFon shows you the last tweets that you checked and Tweetie shows a blank screen. It's nice to have the last tweets to look at while waiting for the new tweets to load.

For everything else I like Tweetie more but it means I usually use TwitterFon first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.