best type of external hard drive for itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I would like to get a single good sized external hard drive to house all my itunes content in one place, I will be using it with my laptop.

any suggestions on the best one? I am looking for one in the 1 or 2 tera byte range, with 750gb being about the lowest capacity I would go.

would a portable hard drive bee good?

does it matter if it is just usb or has firewire as well?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any external drive will work fine, with USB or Firewire. Firewire 800 is obviously faster, but not a requirement.

I've been very pleased with both of these, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't have a need for portability then I'd not go with that. Almost any external drive will be sufficient. If you buy the drive and empty case, you'll save yourself $$

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the look of the on the go pro, but they are a bit expensive, what capacity would be best?

in those plastic cases, do they overheat?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whatever capacity suits your needs.
    No, never.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had one, it never overheated but it also offers no protection. I lost a hard drive in one of those

However in the same usage (placing in my backpack) the Lacie Rugged has been problem free after years of use.

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What were the circumstances? I'm curious, because I've been using one for about 4 years, with zero problems.

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. SnackGuy macrumors newbie

Not to go off topic here but does anybody recommend a good NAS for my MBP OS X Lion with a Netgear Router.

10. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I'm using a Seagate Goflex Home 2TB. Works fine but is a bit slow in spite of the Asus N router. Don't know whether it's the HDD issue or thats the normal for wireless. Nothing to compare with, though its much faster now since I switched from A Belkin G to a Asus N.

The HDD had issues in the forst few weeks, and this is the replacement unit that I am using now.

11. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Are you storing video on it as well as music? If so I would go with the 2TB, I use a 2TB Firewire for my videos and a 1TB for music.
    Just waiting for prices on a Thunderbolt Raid enclosure to drop down so I can store everything in one place and only 1 power plug instead of using 4 currently.

12. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may have a video project on it as well as itunes & other general files, will the 5400 rpm & usb 2.0 of most portables be too slow?

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology, any recent model.

14. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I notice most of these owc's are 5400rpm, would that be too slow if I had a video project on it?

15. SnackGuy macrumors newbie

How much did it cost im willing to spend under $200. I just need 1 Terabyte. I was thinking of buying a Synology DS110j.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the 2nd drive I listed, 6 of the 8 listed are 7200 rpm. For the other, it comes in 3 sizes of 7200 rpm. Drive performance isn't just a matter of rpms, but also drive density. Any of the drives listed would be more than sufficient for video projects, even the 5400 rpm drives.

17. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Bought it in India for about 180 dollars, just before the Thailand floods. Must be cheaper in the US, but now prices would be higher all over.

18. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

oyen digital 1tb vs 1tb owc mercury elite on the pro go.

would this; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VKTJGM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1OQ5B5VHVHCUX

is this as good as the 1tb mercury elite on the go pro?

I ask because the oyen digital 1tb is about 130.00 with free shipping, & the mercury on the go pro 1tb is 197.00.

the only real difference I see in specs is the mercury has firewire, & the oyen has just usb, would this make a big difference for a video project?

would it be worht the extra money just to get firewire?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Firewire 800 is 2-3 times faster than USB 2.0. To me, it's worth paying more. Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you.