Best Type of Video Format for ATV Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wicked1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Wicked1, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so I started ripping my library of DVD's into my Mac but there are soo many video formats, VOB, MPEG4, AVI, and several others, I just want to know which one is best and if there is a program out there that will convert them all.

I am trying to rip DVD's into my library keeping the entire DVD format including Menu's Extras, etc, so that I can burn a DVD later if I had to, also being able to use it on my ATV.

Is there a way to burn Blue Ray discs into my iTunes as well, both my kids have PS3's and Blue Ray DVD's but I can not figure out how to import them as well.

Thanks

2. Sparced macrumors regular

Sparced

ATV Flash Hack will make an Apple TV read full DVD menus. It doesn't require much work, download patch on to USB stick. http://firecore.com/atvflash

If you want a good solid format there's only one choice that Apple support H.264 codec and file types ending with .mp4 .m4v and .mov which are all basically the same thing. Handrake will convert videos and let you select a Apple TV preset, those videos also play on new iPhones and iPads.

I've recently started using IVI Pro application, it creates higher quality videos than Handbrake so far but the size are the files are much larger. So it depends on what you want.

Handbrake will typically take a 4.3GB 720p MKV and lowered it down to 1.7GB m4v. IVI Pro has produced 3.5GB m4v and maintained a higher resolution. The quality would be higher and maybe file size but I'm using the first gen Apple TV option in IVI Pro, second gen model can handle better.