Home Best UK homekit enabled thermostat

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by TwoBytes, Apr 19, 2016.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Nest - no
    Hive - no
    Netatmo - is the only option? the app doesn't look appealing and there are no ambient sensors
    Ecobee3 - yes but not sure if this would work in the UK..

Are there any other options or is it still early in the homekit days?

2. kid2010 macrumors member

kid2010

I think the Netatmo one is the only one what works in UK. Since it's HomeKit compatible, if you don't like the manufacturer's app, there are a few interesting apps for HomeKit thermostat.

3. Jungle Barry macrumors newbie

I bought a tado earlier this year, it's very good
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    Oops, just noticed the HomeKit enabled part. Sorry. Tado are releasing a HomeKit enabled bridge later this year I believe

4. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

Is HomeKit essential? I also have a tado and agree that it's very good. I'm not sure what benefit HomeKit compatibility will bring to it though.

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It depends on your set up. If you have HomeKit enabled blinds, lights etc. they can all be hooked into one trigger (the heater can be turned on/off, lights turned on/off, blinds lowered/raised etc because it's too warm/to cold etc., have it turn off if no one is home based on secondary sensors etc.). The magic of HomeKit is making them all work together. If you just use it as a thermostat and have need for the rest it won't matter.

6. GlynH macrumors newbie

I don't think there are any at the moment.

I contacted Ecobee earlier this year as that seemed like a great thermostat to replace my old Heatmiser which has given sterling service but it is /was 24v only and so not suitable for the great majority of UK installations.

I see that Heatmiser are looking to release a HomeKit compatible bridge in Q3 this year but I'm not holding my breath!

Mind you probably not as bad as LightwaveRF who posted sometime ago they had been accepted as MFi developer by Apple on 26 June 2014 and subsequently announced on 9 April 2015 that Apple have agreed to assist LWRF in implementing the correct protocol for their Weblink!

I don't see any UK specific HomeKit devices ready for prime time anywhere apart from maybe Elbato Eve but when I looked the reviews were appalling.

Most everything in my house is on the network or remote controllable in one way or another and I would love to actually use some HomeKit devices but do any actually exist?

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

7. SmartHome macrumors newbie

SmartHome

Nest Smart Thermostat is the best option in UK.

8. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

Except that he asked for "HomeKit Enabled"

9. tony_glasgow macrumors member

I know it's not for everybody but I thought I'd pass my experiences with Homebridge - it's worth a look into if you're half way technical...

The Homebridge application creates a fake HomeKit hub on your network (it needs is a Mac or Raspberry Pi on permanently) - right now my Homebridge has the following 'devices' bridged into HomeKit:
    • Nest (full temperature control + off/heat control)
    • Samsung TV on/off
    • Synology NAS on/off, temperature
    • Various DIY temperature + humidity sensors (can be added to the Raspberry Pi easily)
    • (new project) Garage Door opener
    There's a risk Apple breaks Homebridge in the future, but I'd rather risk having a good Thermostat with no HomeKit support than a half-arsed first attempt by another company. I've gone through the same research as the OP recently and the Netatmo has reports of random behaviour (setting the Auto Away function on incorrectly) and no phone support.

I'm sure we'll have a great selection in 3/4 years time - but until then IMHO it's the gamble of the early adopter (like all of the various HomeKit devices at the moment it seems) and I prefer the relative safety of Nest. Especially as it's a device that has real world implications if it goes wrong!

If you're interested keep an eye on PC World's eBay shop - got a brand new Nest 2 for £79 a month ago or so... At that price I decided if it's a poor decision it gets chucked in 2/3 years time with a proper HomeKit solution.

10. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

I use Homebridge too... and my LWRF equipment bridges nicely through that, until they release their own HomeKit bridge later this year... there's also a Samsung SmartThings module for it, though I'd be wary of spending thousands on a system that may or may not be "nerfed" at a later date, if apple decide to block HomeBridge

11. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Tado have announced their v3 thermostat which is HomeKit compatible. It will ship September 19th

12. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

and v2 customers can email them to get the new bridge and a software update, making it the same as a v3, got my order in already!