Best UK PayGo with micro sim for data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckvakk, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

I'm going to London tomorrow for two days. And since i need to use my iPhone 4 for data while i'm there i'm gonna need a prepaid card.

I've previously used O2 and their "unlimited data for a month for £10" offer. But since i have to get a micro sim anyway, i might as well switch provider.

I've heard that there may be some other offers out there that is cheaper, like virgin, but i don't know if they can supply a micro sim in store.

I won't be using huge amounts of data. Mostly twitter and google maps + some web.

Any suggestions?

2. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Giffgaff. OK, so they don't actually supply microSIMs :D , but it really is trivial to cut one down (search their forums for the template) using scissors and a nail file (took me 2 minutes), and you can order more than one SIM at no charge in case one goes wrong. There are also microSIM cutters circulating between members (search the forums again).

Their data deal is really unmatched in the UK.

The only problem might be getting the SIM in time - as standard they are via post, but a friendly member may be able to hand deliver one if you post on the forum perhaps?

3. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

I'm arriving in london at 0800 tomorrow morning, and will be needing the sim right away, so i need something that i can get in store and not having to cut it down afterwards. But thanks for the suggestion:)

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

5. milamber macrumors regular

If you already have the O2 sim with unlimited data why don't you just cut it down yourself?

It's really easy. I can give you a link to a template that I used if you want.

6. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I doubt i will be able to get a contract since i don't live in the UK.
    But i'm considering either the iPad PayGo plan or just the regular paygo plan. They cost the same as far as i can see.
    How is the coverage on three?

7. mckvakk thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really sure where i've put it :p
    Besides, i only used the add-on where you pay 10 pounds each month you want the data plan. So i will need to get at least a ten pound top up anyways.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Three has the largest 3G network in the UK and they have a deal in place with another network (Orange) for 2G roaming in areas without 3G.

For someone travelling to the UK for a short period I'd say Three would be a good choice.

9. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I thought the 2G roaming deal Three has is with O2 and not Orange?

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not for several years now.

11. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Cool, got a link to any info on this?

12. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Ah just checked out Wikipedia, all is clear now!