Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
My wife has the Canon SD300 or 400 (last yr's model) and it's OK. Great form factor, but has some bad chromatic aberration, etc., which isn't uncommon w/P&S cameras.

Check-out the Casio EXZ750 - review here:
http://kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm

Some folks like Ken Rockwell; others don't.

Good luck,
Frank

Applespider

macrumors G4
The new consumer models are likely to be announced in early February if they follow usual timescales. So you may find there are new ones to choose from then.

The new Sony N1 sounds interesting; amazing screen on it but I've no idea how the pictures look.

The F10/F11 isn't ultracompact but I'd like to see them put a similar sensor in their Z1 ultracompact case; that would be sweet since the F10 gives some amazing pictures given its size/price.

The Casio EX750 mentioned above consistently gets good reviews and it looks goo, and if they announce new ones, you might be able to pick one up at a reduced price.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I've been looking at getting a Z750 for myself for quite some time ... it's an amazing camera that's compact and has full manual controls, with two buttons to quickly change settings. It's been out for quite some time now, but I would buy it.

I am buying the Panasonic FX-9, the big thing this has is optical image stabilization. I find that I currently consistently have blurry pictures from hand-shake and I think this would help out greatly. I should be getting the FX9 in a few days, I'll be sure to post a review and some pictures if you're interested.

The Fuji F10/F11 is an amazing camera for low light ... they do this by "boosting the ISO settings". They can do this because their sensor is a fairly clean sensor (less noise at similar ISO settings) and more aggressive noise reduction algorithms in the camera. Both work well to take good low-light action pics.

Otherwise Canon is always a solid choice when it comes to ultracompacts ... they have the experience and reputation. I'm not the biggest fan of Sony, their picture quality from what I seen hasn't been that great. Great looking cameras tho'.

My two cents,
-OA

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I very much like my Casio Exilim Z750. It's very small and pocketable and does a good job with images. The menu system is very easy and intuitive, as are the controls. I like that you can shoot in aperture priority and shutter priority with this little thing, too, something which you don't often find nowadays on the P&S digicams.

OTB

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I've got the Sony T7 and its fantastic. 5.1MP, massive display, 3x optical zoom and throw in 30fps 640x480 DV, and its a keeper. 4 people have bought one after having a play with mine. The T7 I mean ;)

Sony have just brought out the T9 and as far as I can see there has been a redesign of the buttons (more logical for single
handed operation) upped it to 6MP, and added a steady shot system, which admittedly would be nice.

I found the T7 for £100 less than its RRP, so it can be had for a bargain price on the web. The T9 being so new is still at full price...​

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Not to be a scrooge (well hell, I am so whatever) but this question has been asked in this very forum multiple times already. It seems the only benefit of getting a "digital photography forum" has been to group all the questions together, there have hardly been any non-purchase related questions or technique discussions :(

That said, because it is Xmas....I'd recommend the Canon A620 without knowing a pricerange. It isn't the most compact digicam, but it's great for features and quality. The SD line is smaller/thinner, and Sony makes some really thin stuff if you can deal with them :rolleyes:

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Frank (Atlanta) said:
My wife has the Canon SD300 or 400 (last yr's model) and it's OK. Great form factor, but has some bad chromatic aberration, etc., which isn't uncommon w/P&S cameras.

Check-out the Casio EXZ750 - review here:
http://kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm

Some folks like Ken Rockwell; others don't.

Good luck,
Frank

I had a Canon S400 (the CF 4 MP Elph) from 2003 and used it until it recently died. I had several thousand great pictures with it. It was one of the few compacts that didn't have real red-eye issues (more important to me when I first bought it b/c software removal wasn't as sure a bet in mind a few years ago). The same site, http://www.dcresource.com, that noted the low red eye levels indicates that newer Elphs are a little more prone, but less of a big deal these days. I may replace my S400 with an SD500. Why not the 550? The LCD. The 500 has a 2" with 118,000 pixles and the SD550 has a 2.5 with 115,000.

I tried the 2.5 screen on an S80 I'm returning. Too grainy for me. I wasn't keen on the S80. Very well reviewed at dcrource and http://www.dpreview.com as well as steves digicams, CNET liked it, etc., etc., but I didn't like my results... so perhaps another in the Elph line. If my next Elph goes more than 2 3/4 yrs without an E18 error, and produces photos in-line with the S400, I'll be very happy with it. (But also considering the D70s to replace my film N80, so my P&S may cease to be my only digital). At anyrate, I've had good luck (for 2 and 3/4 yrs anyway) with the little Canon Elphs and can recommend based on that past experience.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
In a vote for the Elph line, a few of the 4MP ELPH vacation snaps. I'm hoping the newer 7 MP SD500 will continue to deliver the performance I got out my old pocket cam.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 222

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Just got the Elph sd450 yesterday, and love it so far. 2.5 in. screen is great.

on sale at Dell.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Canon IXUS

The Canon IXUS cameras are good, units such as the

SD20
SD30
SD450

While they have excellent build quality, what these cameras lack are manual controls and RAW support. I bought a Canon S70, which is bigger but easier to use.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I'm not sure if they still make them, but I'm a big fan of the Canon SD10/SD20. They don't have optical zoom and they're a little bit noisy (as are all cameras with tiny CCDs) but if you can come to terms with the fact that the best zoom is your feet it's a great camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.