Best uninstaller app for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr. McKay, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Dr. McKay, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018

Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

What's the best uninstaller app for MacOS ? AppZapper, AppCleaner, AppDelete, ... ?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

3. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

AppCleaner has worked well for me, but if the vendor offers an uninstaller, use it before trying any third party uninstaller.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I do not recommend AppZapper, AppCleaner, AppDelete or any other uninstaller app. No cleaner or app removal software does a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. Most will remove smaller files, such as plists, but leave behind caches, which are much larger. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do a thorough job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Personally, I wouldn't use one.

If the app came with an uninstaller then use that. However, just dragging the app from the /Applications folder to the trash is usually good enough.

There may be some associated gubbins in ~/Library but personally, I tend to leave it an just have a clear out once in a while when I've nothing better to do.

I don't personally see the need for an app to do that.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Based on some recommendations earlier, I also have started using AppCleaner and in my testing so far it has not missed anything the manual method mentioned in post #4 removed. It appears the app is just automating the search process described in that post.

7. karatekidk macrumors regular

Glad I ran into this thread. Sorry, in advance, for asking this stupid question. To me, "uninstalling" means just throwing an application folder into the garbage bin and empty the bin. It's not enough?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not really... no. There are almost always some settings and cache files and folders left behind. For example, here is what I get by using AppCleaner on the app Skitch.

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.01.43 AM.png

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Agreed, it's just easier. Manual will take some time.

AppCleaner also has a feature where if you delete an item or throw it into the Trash, it will then automatically prompt to also remove associated files. It's a good little app in my opinion.

10. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I, too, use AppCleaner -- and find that it works very well.

12. karatekidk macrumors regular

Ah, thanks! After reading your post, I think the name "AppCleaner" totally makes sense. :)

13. TokMok3 macrumors 6502

A few months ago I downloaded from the Mac App Store an app for checking the SHA1- checksum of files downloaded from internet, after checking the checksum, that app tried to communicate to an IP address without success because Little Snitch detected and I was able to block it. In this kind of situations after deleting the app I want to make sure that it was completely erased from my MacBook.