Best Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dpavid, May 21, 2014.

1. dpavid macrumors regular

Before I even consider setting up my new system, I need a UPS solution. What's the best out there? I have always used APC but the unit I have is about 12-15 years old. The battery has been replaced multiple times and I'd prefer a new digital one.

Main purpose it to protect a RAID5.

Besides APC, Amazon customers rate CyberPower really high too. I've never heard of that brand.

Here's my setup:

MacPro - <450w
    3 Monitors - <60w = 180w
    Areca 8050T2 with 8 NAS drives - ???
    Additional Peripherals - USB hub, gigabit switch, host adapters, etc...

I'm guessing a 900-1000w system would be sufficient. I'm thinking:

Intelligent LCD UPS Series

Back-UPS Pro®

Thanks in advance for any recommendations on brands, series, wattage, etc.

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

You also need to think about how long of a battery do you want/need, desktop or rack mount format, do you want/need to monitor its health remotely, how many goal devices will you plugging into it, and do you want/need a user replaceable battery. Also, keep in mind, it is not recommended to plug a surge protector into a UPS. I used to have a contact at Tripp Lite who mentioned this to me before when building my home theater UPS/Surge protection design.

In my house, I currently use all Tripp Lite products. I have two SMART1000LCD, one BC350, and one HT1210ISOCTR, and one ISOBAR12ULTRA.

I am in the market to replace the BC350. It currently is used on just my Time Capsule and occasionally just shuts off. It is over two years old and cost my something like $30-40, so it has been a decent ROI. My question to myself is whether I want another device without a user replaceable battery or do I want one where I can upgrade the battery. Since I got over two years on the lower cost device, I will most likely go down that route.

Not sure if I added anything to this but I wanted to give you some of my thoughts.

3. mayanktanwar macrumors newbie

All of brands of UPS is good, But Microtek is widely used for it's best performance and power back. microtek have different types of home ups like Microtek UPS EB 2000 VA, Microtek UPS SEBz 900 VA, Microtek UPS EB 1600 VA, Microtek UPS EB 900 VA and Microtek UPS EB 700 VA. Choose according to your requirement on cheapest prices at Batterybhai.com.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Many here use CyberPower in the home. Its a well known and well regarded brand, probably the industry leader. I have one about 15 years old and two newer ones. They perform well, are reliable, are a good value, and are well made. Batteries are easy to swap.

You need to figure how long you want your system to run and size the UPS accordingly. Add a bit of margin as the batteries can degrade a bit over the years.

5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I use a Cyber Power UPS. Really like it, in my household we have a total of three of them. I've had them for about five years now and haven't had a problem. We have even had a few power outages during that time and they switch over to battery power instantly and without any problems. I would recommend them.