Best Uniody cooling mat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccoleman88, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ccoleman88 macrumors newbie

Hi, i seem to be having overheating issues while gaming for long durations i experience random shutdowns.

I am considering buying one of those cooling mats to see if its any help. Do any of you have experience with these and care to reccomend one? I would prefer something quiet, but more concerned about effectiveness. the few that i have seen fan air from the bottom of the unit, but the mbp fans out the back so will those be effective?

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i don' think it matters if its a unibody mac, but i got a cheap ($30) Targus cooling mat at Target, its got two fans that blow cool air on the bottom of my powerbook g4 and is powered by one usb port...it really makes a big difference. i rarely ever hear the fans hard at work anymore...

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Pretty sure that shouldn't happen, so you might have a hardware issue. You might want to get your Mac looked at.

4. ccoleman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am putting serious time in on a rather intensive game and playing with the lid closed. the macbook gets incredibly hot, but outside of the game i notice no issues.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

THIS ONE. It keeps my computer 15-20C cooler. it's pretty incredible.

HERE is a thread on it as well

6. ccoleman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have this model, and I can easily say that my MBP is now between 15-20c cooler with the Enermax aeolus cooling pad. To be honest, I don't care about they the complaints state, all I can say is that this is THE best cooling pad on the market bar none.

another point to consider regarding the fan speed - noise. The thing is near silent, that won't be the case if Enermax started ramping up the RPMs on the fan. It does the job silently so it really doesn't matter how fast/slow the fan speed it.

9. ccoleman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! gonna grab one!

10. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Yeah. If your computer is overheating and shutting down something is very wrong. Buying accessories won't help.

11. RKpro macrumors 6502

My mStand from newegg is supposed to be arriving tomorrow. It's 3lb solid piece of aluminum, and it's supposed to be able to work as a heat sink as well as a stand. Probably not as good as a cooling pad, but it's silent. I'm going to test it out when it comes.

12. DYER macrumors 6502

any news on how it has worked out?

13. fillopastry macrumors newbie

What is the best program to monitor temperatures? Have an Aeolus cooling pad on order and would like to test it out once it arrives...

Thanks in advance

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

lots of folks use istat pro a dashboard widget.