Best unlocking sites?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taptic, Feb 28, 2014.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Hi, I've never tried unlocking an iPhone through any of those shady looking sites that say they can do it, but over time it's seemed like most of them are legit... is this true?

If so, which site would you recommend? I obviously don't want to be paying a ton of money, but I don't wan't something fake.

If it matters, I have a Verizon, iPhone 5.

2. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

3. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Hm, to be honest I'm a little confused not he whole carriers topic. You can unlock them further to the CDMA ones as well, right? Or no?

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Nope, it can be used on a GSM carrier, such as AT&T and T-Mobile. In order to use it on a carrier like Sprint, you have to originally buy it from Sprint. And Sprint iPhones can't be unlocked to be used on any US GSM carrier, only abroad, so their resale value is noticeably worse than unlocked Verizon or AT&T iPhones.

If you're saying that you have a Verizon iPhone and want to use it on Sprint, you're best off selling the Verizon iPhone and buying a used Sprint iPhone. You would probably have extra cash leftover. Since Verizon iPhones are factory unlocked, they have a great resale value.

5. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Ok, thanks. That all makes sense now. Thanks for a thorough explanation. :)

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

No problem! :)

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Based off this post I bought a used VZW 5S to use on TMO. Hope you're right! :D:eek:

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

10. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

11. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Wow, that's awesome!

12. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Interesting... How about the Verizon 4s's? I've had my phone for ~2.5 years now and I'd like to start using Net10/StraightTalk, but I've heard that the unlock Verizon does (which I called them for) only unlocks the phone for use on international carriers... Is this true? What do you suggest I do to get my 4s to work on those prepaid networks? Is there a good IMEI unlock site for this?

Thanks a lot man

13. 869639 macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone 4S cannot be used in USA once unlocked, just the way the unlocking policy is setup by Verizon as per their agreement with Apple.

Therefore it is only useful for International carriers. I recommend just selling it on local classified and purchase a 5/5C/5S model of your choice as they can be used in USA 100%.

14. joroboam macrumors newbie

joroboam

I need to unlock my att iphone 4? any ideas?? clean esn of course

15. vietalogy macrumors 6502

16. danhorski macrumors newbie

Guys I need to unlock Iphone 5s from T mobile,any suggestion?I got it on Ebay,currently use the Simple Mobile and everything is great,but im going to Europe and want to use the phone there =)

17. Traytraybaby macrumors newbie

Hi I have att iPhone 5s looking to trade for iPhone 5s . Can we trade ?