best update for powerbook g4 13"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by winky1980, Oct 27, 2009.

1. winky1980 macrumors newbie

i'm sat on my friends 13" g4 powerbook trying to get her update on all her software.

i noticed that some apps like firefox etc, were running strangely and i thought it was because the os was not up to speed with the recent updates. so thought i'd update the os but after reading a few forums i've seen people have had problems installing 10.5.2 leopard on old powerbooks.

anyone got any advice? whats a good version of os x to on an old g4 powerbook?

thanks
    :)

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Have a read of this thread and the links in it
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=809514

3. winky1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that. had a quick scan. most people suggested running tiger 10.4.11, which is what we have on this machine.

could it be that running the lastest version of firefox on this os is what is making it perform badly? the biggest issue our end is videos on youtube running badly.

would it be worht downgrading firefox?

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well a system like that isn't going to perform wonderfully with youtube videos, the MacBook Air has been known to choke a bit on youtube, and its a dual core intel. There isn't much you can do for these G4's as technology outpaces possible upgrades.

5. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Yep sadly this is the case with the older powerbooks. Do you know what processor and RAM you have in it?