Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trentolol

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Right here
So I have my MBP 13, i5 2011.(btw, its awesome :D)

For my first upgrade to the system, I am trying to decide between getting the Momentous XT or upgrading to 8gb, 1600 ram(hyperX?).

What will give me the best bang for the buck?

I am a student and have considered SSD route, but its too expensive for my needs(not enough space for me).

KwanMan

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
So I have my MBP 13, i5 2011.(btw, its awesome :D)

For my first upgrade to the system, I am trying to decide between getting the Momentous XT or upgrading to 8gb, 1600 ram(hyperX?).

What will give me the best bang for the buck?

I am a student and have considered SSD route, but its too expensive for my needs(not enough space for me).

It depends why you need the upgrade. If you want faster boot/ app loading times then the hybrid drive will achieve that, if you need more ram to run virtual machines and stuff then the ram will be your choice. If you are upgrading for the sake of it then I have no comment.

MacsOnAnabolics

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The ram upgrade then, the Hybrid drive will only increase your boot times

The Hybrid drive will be faster than the current stock HDD in your MBP. And since all of you apps rest on your hard drive, the XT upgrade will give you the best performance.

For common everyday user, you aren't to notice much, if any, any performance difference with the Hyper X.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
The Hybrid drive will be faster than the current stock HDD in your MBP. And since all of you apps rest on your hard drive, the XT upgrade will give you the best performance.

For common everyday user, you aren't to notice much, if any, any performance difference with the Hyper X.

ya, this is true. The additional ram only helps if you really need it. Most desktop users won't need it so the hybrid will be more benefit. You'll see some modest improvements in speed for sure.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I have the Kingston Hyperx on my MBP. They work great. Not a "huge" difference between them and a 8gb of 1333mhz. But it's nice to have the best possible. :D

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The ram upgrade then, the Hybrid drive will only increase your boot times

And how will adding more RAM make the computer go faster? Adding more RAM only increases speed if you were already pushing your RAM capacity. With "everyday use" the OP won't even come close to using his stock RAM, so it'll be better for him/her to get a faster hybrid HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.