Best upgrade path for my laptop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mulletman13, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all,

I have a 12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 right now (my main rig is a 20" Aluminum iMac), but I've been getting antsy on getting something larger. I've had a 14" iBook before, and while I liked it, I think I want to go a big larger.

The main things I use my laptop for are the following: Internet, Mail, iChat, and WoW. WoW works decently on this iBook (surprisingly) even though it only has 32mb RAM, but I'm also looking for something that will run it a bit faster.

Budgetwise, I'm only looking to throw in a couple hundred dollars on top of the sale price of this computer. That puts me in the range of a first/second gen MacBook, or a last generation PowerBook.

I've read so many threads on this forum claiming people are 'stupid' for going with dead technology-- I can see that point, but for what I'd be using my laptop for, I think it wouldn't be a big problem. I don't see myself having this coming laptop for more than a year or two, but I'd just like to get some opinions on this. I truly don't care about running Windows, nor encoding rates or other such benchmarks.

I'm really looking at a 1.67 high-res PowerBook... I love the 15.4" screen, and I just don't have the cash for even a first gen MBP. A MacBook would just be too small for what I'm looking for... but I'm definitely open to opinions that would change my mind?

Thanks!

2. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

Imo, Go with a used g4 PB.
    The 17 inch PB feels too big to me, but has great resolution and looks sexy.
    The 15 inch PB's resolution is not bad, overall it is a better, snappier, cooler machine than the 12 or 14 inch ibook and as it wouldn't be the main computer, seems like a good purchase.

But, I am a biased fan of the g3 and g4s. :)