Best upgrade procedure non gm

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jameslavis, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jameslavis macrumors newbie

Only done ota updates and never touched ios 7 betas.

I have ICloud backups and want game saves to get put back

So should I wipe then install ios 7 update or update then wipe?

After that setup as new or restore from iCloud?

I see many people go on different ways. If you setup as new can you add back stuff through iCloud?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Best is a matter of opinion. If you are running a beta the common advice is to restore as new then restore from your iCloud backup. No need to wipe if I understand you correctly. Folks report that they upgraded from beta 6 to GM with no issues. I'm too chicken to do that. :)

I'd also recommend making an iTunes backup because I'm a nervous guy and it's faster to restore from.

3. !GS51! macrumors regular

In my opinion OTA or restore will yield the same results unless you have some glitches on the previous os, they will carry on to the new update if you OTA. If not i always OTA.
    If you want you can restore the device and restore from icloud backup and if you have documents and data set to on you will get everything back

4. jameslavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya guys I never touched the betas or the gm. For droid I always wiped then upgraded. So I would update then wipe then selectively restore. This is a major update so I figure its a good idea to clean things up. Would you wipe before the update or update then wipe?

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Doesn't really matter, depends on what you want to do. You'll get essentially the same result in the end.

6. jameslavis thread starter macrumors newbie

If you go new device and manually install apps and then sign in to iCloud will it restore data or saves?

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

No. You will have to restore from a backup.

8. jameslavis thread starter macrumors newbie

So this may sound stupid but how is an overtop install of 7 (no betas) over 6 different then a install 7 wipe thenicloud restore? Aren't you just putting the same old things on that would have been there if you hadn't wiped?

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op it's simple just updated using an old ios6 back up so you don't lose anything. If you find it to be buggy or not running to optimal standards then restore as new and start fresh. Only time I wouldn't restore from back up is if it's a back up from a beta which I have. Other than that no really reason for a clean install unless problems accur from a previous backup.