Best UPnP receiver?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andy.barron, May 22, 2008.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hi All.

I currently stream from Mac to Ps3 in a spare room with no probs (however best to copy file to Ps3 if a film or large file first), but I would like to stream to my main lcd tv in the living room downstairs that is running surround sound.

What would your advice be for a UPnP receiver, ideally with some sort of buffer/cache on a wireless network? I do have an ethernet connection there as well if it helps.

Some advice on this would be fantastic as I have NO choices at the mo!:eek:

2. michelle21 macrumors regular

The one I use is pinnacle showcenter, Its older technology but works extremely well.

It can use the proprientary server that comes with it that is buggy, or any upnp media source or simple html. The interface is very easy to mod to include functionality and it supports ac3 hd. The only problem is that it has been discontinued but you can find them on ebay.

3. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

how about TVersity? its a free server software and content can be accessed from anything with a browser. i use it with my computers and xbox and never have any lag at all. it will handle music, videos (real nice looking movies with no lag), pictures as well as urls of videos and music. try it out and you will love it!

4. michelle21 macrumors regular

Tversity is a server, and not a really good one at that.

But it sound like the poster needs some kind of settop box.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

6. michelle21 macrumors regular

99.00 vs 400.00

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

£300 gets you another blu-ray player, and a good peice of hardware.

Also you have already set one up, so doing another will be easy!

8. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the reply's, much appreciated.

Yea, I was looking to see if there was a set top box out there that could deal with this (with some sort of buffer/hd) with an ethernet port or wireless connection to my Lan. Getting another PS3 was kinda the last resort.

9. michelle21 macrumors regular

showcenter has those and more. Is the ps3 like the psp, where 3rd party developers have to stay one step ahead of sony's attempt to prevent anykind of unofficial development with service pack after service pack.

After I got my Iphone I gave up on the psp and sony entirely.

My Wii is the most popular game console in our home, and unlike the ps3 also serves as a good means of exercise. You break out in a sweat practicing your backhand on the wii.