Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Anyone using a UPS that they recommend that works well with Macs. I was hoping to find one with an App.

Also happy to take any comments on using a UPS with a Mac. I was planning on plugging my AirPort Extreme and Mac mini into it because my internet fibre connection has its own UPS (internet runs even if power goes down). So I thought is would be good to have internet running even if power goes down. If power went down I would have a MacBook Air, Mini, AE and switch running still (for a minimal period). That is my plan at least.

Any thoughts?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
APC brand works well, plug the USB cable into your Mac to enable the UPS controls built into OS X. No separate app required.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
APC brand works well, plug the USB cable into your Mac to enable the UPS controls built into OS X. No separate app required.

Thanks for that. Were are the UPS controls in OS X? Or do they appear once a UPS is available?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I use Cyberpower 1350 VA UPS's ($89.99 at Costco) on my computers including my Mac Mini. There is no software you need to install. As you can see in the screen capture, I disconnected power to my setup. The warning and the time remaining are OSX's built in software.

Devices connected to UPS:
2011 base Mac Mini w/8gb's of ram
40" Samsung HDTV ( Not LED backlit )
2 TB USB HD
Verizon FIOS DVR (always on)
Linksys Wireless Access Point

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 8.17.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 8.17.47 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 515
Last edited:

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
I too have a CyberPower UPS, this one. Actually, I bought three of these to protect my computers and TV's.

It's sad really that no one has a dedicated app like Windows machines get to control the UPS but with the CyberPower, and maybe others too, you can set it up in the Energy Saver control panel.

OSX_EnergySaver_zps9f8506b1.jpg

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I use Cyberpower 1350 VA UPS's ($89.99 at Costco) on my computers including my Mac Mini. There is no software you need to install. As you can see in the screen capture, I disconnected power to my setup. The warning and the time remaining are OSX's built in software.

Devices connected to UPS:
2011 base Mac Mini w/8gb's of ram
40" Samsung HDTV ( Not LED backlit )
2 TB USB HD
Verizon FIOS DVR (always on)
Linksys Wireless Access Point

I have a 1350 here as well and it's fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.