Best US carrier for single-line plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Aug 13, 2015.

?

Which carrier should I go with for a single-line plan?

1. AT&T

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Verizon

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. T-Mobile

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Sprint

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I had AT&T for quite some time on a family plan. Was always happy with their service. Then, my Mom decided I was old enough to pay my own bill, and I went to T-Mobile. Service was okay, but not great in some areas around home (I live on Long Island) I had the 5S on their service, and for whatever reason my single line bill was like $120 a month. No idea why it was so expensive. I switched to Verizon when the 6 came out, since they were offering $60 a month with 2GB of data. Service has been pretty good, but I find that I'm going over my data every month. I'm also pretty sure that this $60 deal is only for 1 year and will end in September.

I would say I need a MINIMUM of 3GB of data every month. I'm considering going back to T-Mobile due to their unlimited data (and because I can get the 6S Plus), but I don't want their expensive bill again.

What would you say my best option is?

2. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

Prepaid. Cricket is the best option and uses AT&Ts network. Plans start at $35 for 2.5GB 4G LTE, unlimited t/t if enrolled in autopay.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Cricket is the best option as long as you don't mind buying your 6S Plus outright. Otherwise T-Mobile is the best if you want to be able to finance it and pay for the phone monthly rather than all at once.

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Definitely prepaid. If you don't need that many minutes, t-mobile offers a $30 prepaid plan that gives you 100 minutes with unlimited text/data. But it is throttled after 5GB I believe.

5. bmehilos macrumors newbie

It is indeed 5GB. It's perfect if you don't talk on the phone much.

It is a weird plan to find though. You have to go to the PrePaid T-Mo Plans website, and its hidden away at the bottom of the page. It's also only valid on new activations.

6. anish3232 macrumors member

Why not switch to Cricket and use your Verizon 6 is already unlocked and ready to work on Cricket/AT&T

7. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this not something you can get in-store?

8. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

It can be done through Walmart I believe. But has to be a new activation.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Here is what is needed: http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494

Make sure to read the reviews as a lot of people are recommending to pickup in store because they have to scan a barcode and if it's not done it won't work correctly.

10. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Can I use my current Verizon phone?

11. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

12. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I have the 6. Will they also be able to port my number over?

13. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Yes, although I don't have any experience with this. But one of the reviewers mentioned they were able to port their number over. Once you get the t-mobile account established and activated I think you could walk into a t-mobile store and port the number over. They may even be able to do it at time of purchase at Walmart.

Also keep in mind if you're under contract with Verizon they could charge you an ETF, so I would verify that you aren't under contract or anything.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yup. Cricket Wireless is nice if you don't need tethering. Heck, you can even get a 4-line family plan with 2.5GB LTE data for each line for just $100/mo.