Best US plans for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JesseW6889, May 5, 2011.

1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Need little or no data, 500-1000 minutes, and unlimited text.

I plan to provide my own iPhone 4, I'd like to avoid a commitment of any kind.

Please specify the carrier, the cost and whether or not it will work with a standard iPhone 4 out of the box, or if it will need to be jailbroken and/or unlocked to work.

I am looking for cheapest possible, data isn't an issue so edge is acceptable. I also don't need sms.

I don't think prepaid is what I want, based on the amount of minutes I need, but I'm open to suggestions.

I live in Florida in the US if that makes a difference.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

you only have a choice of AT&T plus Verizon for a supported phone.

If you purchase an iPhone in the us it will be either carrier locked to AT&T or locked to Verizon.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Was something not working with your other post that you felt it necessary to start this one?

You know, you could search around a bit too, not like we haven't discussed plans to death here.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Cheapest possible route:

Add on to an AT&T family plan for $10/month. Sign up for a no-commitment line, there will be no contract.
    $15/200MB data plan. No Texting plan.

Jailbreak and install GV SMS Extension and then you can text for free using google voice.

I did this on my wife's line.

P.S. Some people have activated a dumb phone/feature phone, and put a data block on it. Then when putting the SIM in an iphone, get away with no data plan. YMMV.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Since you say you are going to be providing your own iPhone, it depends on what you are providing. GSM (sim card) limits you to AT&T or (if you can get the phone unlocked) T-Mobile. If it's a CDMA model, you're stuck with Verizon.

Otherwise I'm really confused about what you're looking for (ex: you say you don't need sms, but want unlimited texts? They're the same thing!) You should also check with people in your area regarding reception quality for the carriers (the cheapest plan isn't worth it if you're dropping calls).

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Haha, you Americans stealing our network (T-Mobile)

Leave our providers alone! Use ATT :d

7. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Why wouldnt you just use the free Google Voice app?

Is there any benefit to the paid extension besides being able to click on the native messaging app instead of the free google voice app?

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

the native way (or bitesms) works much more smoothly than the GV App. When I used the app, I had to constantly refresh, and I was missing messages. It's well worth the $3.

9. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Maybe he meant he doesn't need MMS. If so, GV is good for free texting.

11. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a