Best USB-C Dongles for new 2018 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by - rob -, Nov 10, 2018.

1. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

These may be the same as what Macbook people are using now, but this is now a thing for new MBA owners who haven't had to deal with this yet, so here we go:

In clamshell mode, I have one USB C used for power, the other for an adapter to displayport to a p2715q monitor.

I want to plug in some additional USB accessories, and was curious what the state of the art is for USB C splitters and hubs right now.

I haven't worked a lot with USB C. Presumably, not every splitter / hub is created equal in providing power or supporting 4k video out while adding additional ports?

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

No, it's really hit and miss with the USB-C hubs. Also, if you only utilize the port as USB-C, you cannot output 4K p60 and input USB 3 at the same time through the same USB-C port. You might want to consider getting a Thunderbolt dock instead.

This might work for your needs:

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

[​IMG]

3. - rob - thread starter macrumors 6502

- rob -

Thanks for that feedback. That thing is $250! Probably worth it for a workstation with two 4K or higher displays and other connected accessories.

Hmm. I got a pretty cheapo one to get past the immediate problem.

Cable Matters USB C Multiport Adapter (USB C Dock with USB C to DisplayPort 4K 60Hz), 2X USB 2.0, Fast Ethernet, and 60W PD in Black - USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible for MacBook Pro and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5N3YCD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BB15BbSM2X6HB

Not sure how well it will perform though.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Note that it does not support USB 3. This was what I was talking about earlier. Yes it supports 4Kp60, but to get that you have to give up USB 3. It is limited to USB 2.

Or you can have USB 3, but then you have to give up 4Kp60. The USB-C (non-Thunderbolt) ones out there that do USB 3 are limited to 4Kp30.

Speaking of Cable Matters 4Kp60 dongles, I bough this HDMI one. Works fine. No USB support though.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Supporting-Charging/dp/B06XNS7W63

Has power pass-through though, which is what I really need.

5. - rob - thread starter macrumors 6502

- rob -

Ah. Ya for now I don’t need usb 3, just any additional port beyond power and video.

I can see the need for 3 for a drive for example. Or perhaps an eGPU?

6. dachshundx macrumors member

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-c-hubs-and-docks/

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

AFAIK, their top choice USB-C Vava hub does not support 4Kp60. The key giveaway is that don't mention 4Kp60 anywhere. They just say 4K.

Drives.

For eGPU I have never tried it.

8. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Now that the new Mac Mini is out... is anyone making a modern docking station that is the same size and shape of the Mac Mini?

Stackable? With multiple TB3, USB-C and USB-A, Ethernet, etc. Maybe with an empty 2.5" drive bay inside?

Might be great opportunity. Let people build their own modular solution! :)

EDIT: forgive me... I saw a dock above and my mind went towards the Mac Mini. I now realize this is a thread about a Macbook Air! :p

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

In the Notebooks > MacBook forum too. ;)

10. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Hehe yeah.

I didn't find this thread by the category, though. I just saw the title in the "Latest Replies" box. :p