Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drennan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
London
Hi,

I need to burn about half a TB of files onto DVDs! I dont want to wear out my superdrive in my powerbook so i'm looking for an external burner (usb) but cant seem to find much that is mac compatable. can anyone advise on a decent (fast and fairly nice looking) external 'superdrive'? thanks, dren.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I have an external LG superdrive. The package said nothing about being mac compatible but it works perfectly with toast or burning right from finder. It burns and reads just about everything and cost me about $60. I used it on my pc before getting a mini and it works flawlessly with my mini now. It will do + and - r, rw, dual layer, ram and reads em all. it also is a tray loader so it will take mini dvds and cds if you need that as well.

I am going to guess that most usb 2.0 external dvd drives will work just fine.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I bought a LG 20X DVD burner plus black Al enclosure FW 400/USB 2.0 for under $70 that I put together. It could also house HDDs for later use.

I would agree with the prior poster about Mac support for USB-interfaced external optical drives (well, storage media in general). The reason they don't / won't list Mac OS X compatibility is they don't bundle any Mac-specific software, and likely as not don't want to support more than just one category of OS.

Mind you, I think it's kind of foolish of them, but then again what could I possibly know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.