Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I’d like to buy a 2GB USB flash drive (my first one) to transfer files between my Powerbook and PCs. I just want an easy-to-use one without any hassles.

The two main ones I've been looking at are the SanDisk 2 GB Cruzer Micro w/ U3 and the PNY 2GB Attache.

I have read that the SanDisk does some weird things on the Mac (partitions into two drives) but is higher quality than the PNY.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
I’d like to buy a 2GB USB flash drive (my first one) to transfer files between my Powerbook and PCs. I just want an easy-to-use one without any hassles.

The two main ones I've been looking at are the SanDisk 2 GB Cruizer Micro w/ U3 and the PNY 2GB Attache.

I have read that the SanDisk does some weird things on the Mac (partitions into two drives) but is higher quality than the PNY.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the 2gb Cruiser Micro.
No problems moving stuff between my MDD Mac and Windows boxes.

It hasn't mattered what machine I connect to, it shows as a single drive.

I do not use the included encryptation/sync software.

Watch the sales - the one I have retails at $103 at BestBuy, but I picked it up on Black Friday for 29$

My older memory stick is a Sony 128. No problems with that one, either.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I've got a SanDisk Cruzer micro, it works perfectly EXCEPT that its little "tail-light" stays on even when you've ejected the device. when using it with PCs, the light goes off when it's safe to unplug it, but it's always on with the mac.

probably not a deal-breaker for you, but it might be true for your cruzer.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I've got a SanDisk Cruzer micro, it works perfectly EXCEPT that its little "tail-light" stays on even when you've ejected the device. when using it with PCs, the light goes off when it's safe to unplug it, but it's always on with the mac.

Same with mine. Aside from that, it's highly recommended. No problems whatsoever, works great with both Mac and PC.

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
I have a 512mb memerex traveldrive and i am very happy with it. You should also look into a portable hard drive. I also have a 40 gb portable hard drive and that is great too. It is really helpful for backing up files and storing files you need that would take up too much space on your internal hardrive.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Question

I used my 1GB SD Cruzer micro recently with a C2D iMac with OS X 10.4.8 and after ejecting it, the light was also still on. I was a little hesitant to pull it out of the USB drive. Does anyone know if this will hurt the drive, i.e. if it is still on or why the light stays on. The didn't happen with my friend's Lexar jumpdrive--his light turned off after ejecting. Also, I noticed that OS X re-listed my drive after I ejected both drives (CD and HDD), and I am not sure why. I had to re-eject and then pulled the drive out despite the light still being on.

Also, I use this for both Macs and PCs and when I reinserted the SD Cruzer micro back into the PC, there were files from the Mac that had been placed on the drive. I deleted them, but it seems kind of messy to me.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i've got a SanDisk Cruzer mini that is great. i don't use it much, but when i do it works flawlessly. the deals on these flash drives are crazy!

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
I also have a SanDisk Cruzer (1GB version). As others have stated, the light stays on even after "eject"ing it but I have not had any data corruption issues. Regarding the multiple partitions, that is from U3 which can be uninstalled by going to http://u3.com/uninstall/. If I recall, you need to uninstall it from a Windows box.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The light stays on because Macs will still power the USB port until you unplug whatever is plugged in. PCs, when you eject a flash drive, it powers down the port. Plus, there might also be the issue that many flash drives have a simple command on the drive already that tells the PC to do that whiel it's not even created for Mac.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
The light stays on because Macs will still power the USB port until you unplug whatever is plugged in. PCs, when you eject a flash drive, it powers down the port. Plus, there might also be the issue that many flash drives have a simple command on the drive already that tells the PC to do that whiel it's not even created for Mac.

The USB stick isn't sending any command when it's unmounted..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.