Best USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr. Glass, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mr. Glass macrumors member

Hello Everyone:

I have an 11.6" MacBook Air and recently got a new NAS. I have been copying files back and forth locally via WiFi, but it has been quite slow.

I understand that USB is the bottleneck when it comes to ethernet adapters that are advertised as 1Gbps, but am looking for whatever will come closest to max USB speeds via good OSX driver support.

My questions: What is the best gigabit usb ethernet adapter for the MacBook air? If USB is incapable of achieving gigabit speeds, will I even notice any speed difference at all between a so called "gigabit" ethernet adapter and Apple's adapter?

I was thinking about picking up this one from MonoPrice, please let me know your thoughts:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1031102&p_id=5345&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Thank You,

-Glass

2. simsaladimbamba

10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet provides 11MB/s data transfer, USB 2.0 offers up to 37MB/s, but it is more like 32MB/s constantly. Gigabit Ethernet offers around 60 to 70 MB/s.

I don't have any experience with that adapter, but the reviews speak in favour of it, don't they?

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Gigabit ethernet has a theoretical throughput of 125MB/s. In practice, it can reach about 110MB/s.

4. simsaladimbamba

With what switch and devices?

I have an AEBS and also have some Gigabit switch from Netgear, but only get 75MB/s at maximum with a 2007 iMac and a 2009 MBP and a 2008 MB.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That is probably because your hard drives limit the throughput.

I don't expect the AEBS to limit the throughput. I constantly get 110MB/s from Mac Pro to ZFS file server via HP ProCurve switch.

6. kazantipman macrumors newbie

You also can the website below. They have many reviews and recommendations of best USB adapters for Mac and Windows

Source: Best USB Adapter