Best USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ayeplussjr, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I'm looking for a good USB hub for my iMac. Anybody have any suggestions that won't slow down my iMac or crash my system. The only USB hub they have through the Apple online store is a Belkin 4-Port USB hub, but that hub had some questionable reviews.

What other hubs are you guys using out there?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've been using an Iogear 4 USB/ 3 FireWire hub for about a year and haven't had any problems. It is a powered hub and was pretty cheap too, you might look into it. It is currently $28 on Newegg :)

3. hank-b macrumors member

hank-b

I have a powered Belkin hub - however my phone (SE w810i) complains about insufficient power when I plug it into the hub, so I have to plug it into the iMac's USB port. So are "powered hubs" lower power than computer USB ports, or are some powered hubs less powerful than others?

- HB

4. jono_3 macrumors regular

the best usb hub is one that you dont need to plug into the wall

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Considering that the OP is using an iMac rather than a laptop I don't think that it would be that big of a deal here.

6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I'm using a 6 port Belkin USB hub which I bought a year ago from Play.com

Works a treat.

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have used a powered Belkin with no problems.

8. blackapple macrumors newbie

i too purchased the 7 port belkin usb hub adapter with the wire management and only could power my lacie HD and keyboard. didnt have enough juice to power usb flash drive or apricorn HD. any other suggestions?

how about the dlink usb hubs?

thanks for prompt reply

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, I think it depends what you're looking for. If you want a good desktop hub, I REALLY recommend the Kensington Domehub. It is weighted so it won't move around on your desk as you plug in more components. Also, it looks really great. Make sure you get one that comes with the power cable, though. It works without power, but if you want to attach drives and stuff, you'll want it to be powered (that goes for any hub).

If you want it for a more "on the go" experience, then I'd suggest taking a look at just some of the cheapos that are on a dongle and not too bulky. For a mobile hub, i would not get a powered one - too much stuff to carry.

Also, my new monitor has a hub built in so if you want my domehub, i'm selling it on eBay and as of now, it's only going for one cent (also comes w/ a bluetooth mouse and a couple other random goodies haha). Here's the link. Good luck!

10. qpid macrumors regular

I'm going to second the 7 port Belkin usb hub, cheap and works great with my imac even with 7 things plugged into it.

11. minik macrumors 65816

Another vote for the Belkin 7-port self-powered USB hub, I can even charge my USB AA batteries when my iMac is off.

12. pprior macrumors 65816

The Kinsington Domehub is also what I use - love it.

Who wouldn't want a Numa Numa T-shirt as well - check out that auction! :D

13. blackapple macrumors newbie

thanks all for the response ...

this is the hub i was using ... this hub is powered and plugged into an apc 900

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=357387

only enough power to run apple wired keyboard and 500gb lacie hd. when i connected a 160 gb apricorn hd, the apricorn would not start up even using the usb y cord for additional power. only plugging the apricorn into the macbook pro did this work. called apricorn tech support and informed me that you dont have enough power to run the apricorn, duh ...

14. motherduce macrumors 6502

I have this as well. I love the usb port on top. Great for card readers, etc.

Also, my first one crapped out on me, and Kensington sent me a new one for free.

I also bought the Griffin Simplifi, which has two USB ports and a built-in card reader.

15. sesnir macrumors 6502

I use this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394017

It's advertised as one that fits under the Mac Mini with ease, but I bought it because it's compact and flat so I can put my Logitech speaker control thingie on top of it.

It only requires the power adapter if you plug in more than 2 things.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My auction is going for dirt cheap... why not take advantage and get those cool shirts / bluetooth mouse as a bonus?? :D:D

Also, that Belkin hub on newegg has always appealed to me, but not enough ports!

17. blackapple macrumors newbie

update ... the d link 7 port usb hub, works and actually powers up my keyboard, mouse, ext lacie HD, apricorn HD, dig camera, and flash drive without any hiccups...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=149

i have another setup at work and will look into the kensington 7 port hub too, thanks for the input