Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Hello all. I'm trying to record some songs for a choir group that I'm in. We're actually using a keyboard connected to my iMac via MIDI to USB. But the mic that we're using is the internal mic on the iMac. After playing the track, there's too much background noise being picked up and you could hardly hear the vocals even though we're right in front of the iMac.

Without spending too much money, is there a USB mic out there that can eliminate background nosies decently and get good quality on playback? I'm in need of the mic ASAP so I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
is there a USB mic out there that can eliminate background nosies decently and get good quality on playback?

no.

if you mic a choir with a cheap condenser, it's going to sound ass. you may get some improvement over the internal mic, given the opportunity for better placement and (probably) needing less gain, but don't think that a cheap mic is going to solve all your problems.

heck, you could spend $4k on a mic and still solve only some of your problems.

your best bet is to either hire someone to record or lower your expectations.

Crossbone

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
no.

if you mic a choir with a cheap condenser, it's going to sound ass. you may get some improvement over the internal mic, given the opportunity for better placement and (probably) needing less gain, but don't think that a cheap mic is going to solve all your problems.

Wrong. the USB mic i posted above will suit you great.

kcdrummer

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
no.

This is a serious vampire post and I hope no one reads it but I just have to comment. Zimv20 gave you completely misguided info. You can make a huge jump in quality with many usb mics out there. Almost anything will be better than your mac mic. If you haven't resolved this feel free to pm me or just google "best usb mic under" and you will get several comparisons. Rhode makes a really nice one and Samson and MXT have a couple that will work. You will notice a huge improvement over your current setup.

If you want to step up from that get a firewire interface like firebox and a decent xlr mic. Avoid Maudio usb interfaces for your mic. I have tried 2 and they both were serious crap.

None of these options will be as great as a studio obviously but a far cry from your internal mic on your mac.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
This is a serious vampire post

what's a vampire post?

feel free to post your clip of a good choir recording with a single cheap condenser, USB or otherwise. you also didn't address the OP's desire for a cheap condenser which can "eliminate background noise." that tells me the space they're in is substandard and it's pretty much a lost cause after that.

kcdrummer

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
what's a vampire post?

feel free to post your clip of a good choir recording with a single cheap condenser, USB or otherwise. you also didn't address the OP's desire for a cheap condenser which can "eliminate background noise." that tells me the space they're in is substandard and it's pretty much a lost cause after that.

Good point Zim. I have found that mac mic's that are internal pic up a lot of background noise. Just using a better usb mic will solve this right away. Clearly the space they are in is an issue too but I have done a lot of recording and just upgrading to a mic that is dedicated even though it's usb will come a long way from the internal mic which is complete crapolla.

Vampire post... rez'd from the dead. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.