Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

EggrollShop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I need one that works in both windows and Apple, I've been searching all over and I can't find one that is guaranteed to work with both. I was wondering if anyone is using a usb to ethernet and if anyone can point me into the right direction. Thanks for your input!

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
I need one that works in both windows and Apple, I've been searching all over and I can't find one that is guaranteed to work with both. I was wondering if anyone is using a usb to ethernet and if anyone can point me into the right direction. Thanks for your input!

I'm going to try this one. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3504463&CatId=589

It has generally positive reviews, but some problematic ones as well. The only problem is that its listed compabitilities are only up to OSX10.4 and Win Vista. But for $30 I'm willing to gamble for a device rated for GigE rather than just 100BaseT.

I went ahead and wrote to the manufacturer asking about support for 10.6 and above. The customer reviews seem to indicate little to no issues for Windows 7.

I know, I know. We won't really get GigE speeds, but I saw the benchmarks on the Apple product and know that USB 2.0 is capable of transferring at greater than 100Mbps sustained. I would hope for anything in the neighborhood of 28-32MB/s with this device.

EggrollShop

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks! I might take a chance in getting it I'm really sick of not being able to plug into my ethernet connection in my room. Let me know how that one works out for you.

mesca

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
Milan
I ought you to look at aliexpress ( google to find it ), i have bought there an adapter similar to the Apple's one for only 7$ and free shipping.

allanchou

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011

You can search the part number (e.g. AX88772A) of ASIX USB to LAN solutions with Lion Mac OSX 10.7 driver supporting (http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?...tList&PLine=71) to find out a proper USB dongle product . JFYI.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I second the Monoprice one. I have three of the dang things, for different work areas. I love them.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
One more vote for the Monoprice adapter. Works great (just make sure you install the latest driver) and I've already use it for some time now in various network environments for a lot of hours. Not a single problem so far.

Also, it gives you higher speeds than apple adapter (and all other 100Mbit adapters out there) since it supports gigabit ethernet (you'll not get a full gigabit speed of course because of usb 2.0 limit, but significantly higher speeds than the 100 Mbit adapters). Highly recommend it at least until there are any thunderbolt ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.